Loud Overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbooker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi

I'm working on setting up my first sump and feel like I'm missing a few things. The overflow from my display tank seems very loud, I can hear water loudly as it falls into the overflow and down the pipe to my sump. I tried to take the water as directly as I could to the sump, but maybe that wasn't the best option. I'm hoping I've missed something obvious that can be fixed.

2lk4qgz.jpg

Overflow inside tank

1znbi8x.jpg

Back of tank

2rmmkua.jpg

Front view from sump

I'm working on setting up my first sump and feel like I'm missing a few things. The overflow from my display tank seems very loud, I can hear water loudly as it falls into the overflow and down the pipe to my sump. I tried to take the water as directly as I could to the sump, but maybe that wasn't the best option. I'm hoping I've missed something obvious that can be fixed.

2lk4qgz.jpg

look at how the elbow and screen their facing up , that must sound like a sewer drain. it's probably has that whirlpool effect as it's sucking the water, I'd just remove the elbows and put the screens on the straight pipe coming out just leave enough pipe so you can mount the screen closest to the glass not having them stick out to far ,
wish my sump looked so clean plumbed mine just a mess

Thanks for the reply, I had planned on just the screen and a straight pipe but due to the placement of the bulkhead I would have lost at least 4" and 30 gallons of capacity. I'm going to try an angled set up with the elbow and see if that helps.

In the mean time I've played around a bit more with the ball valve at the back and have it slightly closed. This keeps a constant amount of water in the top of the pipe, dramatically reducing noise. Took a bit of fine tuning to keep my flow rate high enough while still quiet but I think I've found the sweet spot. Gonna be watching it closely in case something changes.

I would not trust running a ball valve on a drain line..
If anything gets stuck in it the tank will overflow?
Have you tried dropping an airline down the PVC until it 'daylights' in the sock?

^^^ Agree with the airline approach. It promotes the water to channel along the length of the line resulting in less mixing, splashing, and noise with air in the tubing.

I'll try the airline tubing as I was already nervous about using the ball valve.

Back
Top Bottom