Love or Hate? Black Phantom Tetras.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kellie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I can't tell if my black phantom tetras are fighting or "dating." I looked up youtube and its indecisive still. I have 3 female and 2 male. The two in question are the alpha male and biggest female. The behaviour is similiar to when the two males decided who was the man in charge, all puffed out and showing their best colors. They then start swimming sideways (not in a illness way but like backing off from fighting and circling each other). The female will try and nip at the male and vice versa. Can a female black phantom challenge the spot for most dominant fish or do you think they are deciding if they want to be a pair? The other three are pretty peaceful but these two are rather mean, not nipping but they chase off the rasboras if they get to close. Its a 36G, besides the 5 phantoms there are 7 rasboras and 6 cories. All water parameters are perfect, tank is mildly planted, most plants clumped in the back, also some driftwood to make hiding spots and two small rock caves with crypts in the foreground.

The tetras don't pair but are establishing thier hierchy. Alot of the male/female action is dancing. Unfortunely phantoms can sometimes be nippy especially with fish their size and smaller. Usually the bigger the school of phantoms the less issues they have with other fish since all their behavior is aimed within their own school.

Back
Top Bottom