low growing "grasses"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jakedalab said:
Its a 55 gallon tank. Do you think that one of the carpeting plants would be able to cover the bottom over time or will I need to get several.

Several, youd have to wait awhile. Im not sure how much these plants would carpet with lowlighting though

Dwarf sag is good for low-light tanks. Apparently Pygmy chain sword is another one, but it seems iffy to me. I have some in my tank that has runners growing all new kinds of new plants and such but it took about a month or two, and the tank is considered high light. Don't know how it would fair in low light.

You will want to change your light. The stock lights that are included with the tank are not strong enough to grow low level plants IMO. especially in a 55 gal because it is a deeper tank, and the light has to penetrate farther down to get to your plants.

Dwarf sag will grow in a 55 gallon with standard fluorescent fixture. Ive done it. It won't grow fast but it will stay alive and send out a few shoots now and then believe it or not.

Yeah that's really not much light to grow plants but you may be able to keep a few alive . I did it for a while with two 15w flourescent strips on a 55 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom