Low iodine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeamTrash

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, I've had two emerald crabs die from molting issues, so I decided to get an iodine test. I just did it, and it shows that my iodine level is at 0.03 whereas sea water is at 0.06. Should I get something to correct the discrepancy, or just not worry about it?

I do have one emerald crab that looks ready to molt, but I don't think he has done so yet. He has, however, lost half of one of his back legs. No clue how.

When was your last water change? The salt mix should elevate the idodine to where it should be. :)

When was your last water change? The salt mix should elevate the idodine to where it should be. :)

I did a 5G water change last Thursday. I'll do another one on Thursday and test again... perhaps I should test the water from my lfs to see what the levels are in that.

5g change? What size is your tank and how often do you do changes? I'd be very wary of adding iodine. Never knew there was a reliable test for it either.

I only have a 28 G. I do weekly water changes. As far as I know, yes, there are accurate iodine test kits. This one was a little hard to read, but I found that looking at it out of focus makes it easier to match up colors.

I have a larger system (total of 120 gallons) and I add one drip of lugols every other day. I use a salifert test kit, and this dosing regiment keeps me at nsw level. Skimmers remove iodine.

Back
Top Bottom