Low PH - Time To Buffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well my PH has always been around 7.9-8.0, i thought once i added the eggcrate top it would help raise it a bit, but did not. My tank has been up for 5 months now, and still same PH. Everything else is going great, should i buffer, or should i let it be.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

i usually test mid-day, i actually always test when lights have been on for a couple hours.

Try bumping up to 10gal/week and see if that helps your Ph. Once buffered properly you shoud be able to cut back to every other week.

thanks guys, i will increase the amount of water i change, hopefully that will make everything the way it should be.

You can try removing the glass canopy if you have one. Increasing your surface aggitation will also help keep Ph up.

Low circulation can affect pH to some degree too (sorta coincides with gas exchange).
Test alkalinity and see where you are at. Water changes at 10gals might be the ticket...unless your salt mix is just naturally low in alk...in which case a buffer would be good.

i removed the glass canopy around a month ago. I use instant ocean and i also have 2 MJ1200's, which also break the surface of the water to get things moving. Ill have to get back to you guys on Alkalinity.

Thanks Again,

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom