Low pH with fancy goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two approx 140 L tanks as follows:

Tank A
- 4 fish about 7-8 months old.
- have had the fish since Aug 2013.
- about 15-20 plants.
- gravel substrate.
- cycled.
- change 50-80% water every 2nd day at the moment due to the heat.

Tank B
- 3 fish about 1.5 years old (rescued - quite stunted when I got them but now growing).
- have had the fish since Nov 2013.
- about 15-20 plants.
- gravel substrate.
- almost cycled (new tank in Jan 2014).
- same PWC schedule as above.

The problem I have is ongoing - the pH out of the tap is about 7.4, but in the tanks it is 6.4.

I can get the pH to rise gradually with a little bag of crushed shells near the filter intake pipes (no room in the filters), but this doesn't last long and I have to continually change the shells.

What am I doing wrong?

I really want to get the pH to sit at a higher figure so better for my little pals.

Sounds like low kh or it is getting used up a lot. I've started adding a buffer to improve this and keep ph above 7. Worthwhile to pick up a kh test kit, then you can keep an eye on it.

I've found I can keep the tank more stable with a buffer plus shells.

I have some handfuls of shells but plan to add cuttlebone to the filter next clean. I think shells should make a larger difference below 7 ph.

Also use baking soda (no additives) which should be ok with plants. I do wonder if cuttings are more sensitive - yet to see.

Main one I use is 'tetra neutral ph 7'. Not sure what is in that but it buffers up and plants ok.

My kh is about 2 and ph 7.3 so I'm just tweaking the kh up to 4.

How often do you change your shells? Mine will raise the ph for about a week and that's it. Maybe I'll just have to replace the shells continually? What do you think?

I guess, I've been trying them since Xmas. I just got shells and cuttlebone from the beach and I wonder if it had already dissolved a bit. Plan to try some shop bought cuttlebone. In theory the cuttlebone should dissolve a little faster.

How often do you change your shells? Mine will raise the ph for about a week and that's it. Maybe I'll just have to replace the shells continually? What do you think?

I'd say just replace continually, as far as I know the shells are all carbonate. I just add a handful or so every month so far but haven't really been tracking it. The first few weeks I did lots of kh tests and didn't get much shift so got a bit grumpy with the shells.

Also my tap is 8 and my tank is 7.2 already so I guess I can't expect too much excitement. I have added a lot of driftwood recently and this may not be helping though the wood is quite hard.

Do you have anything like driftwood which might be lowering the ph in addition to normal tank cycle?

You may want to try mixing some aragonite sand or gravel into your present substrate. Another alternative is to use Seachem's Gold Buffer. It's specifically made for goldfish and will help to keep your ph buffered in the mid-7's. I would suggest investing in a Kh and Gh tests so you can figure out what your levels are in your tanks and how to adjust them gradually. Once stabilized, things should be pretty simple. :)

Dear Delapool and jlk - thank you for your help :)

I'll try out your suggestions, starting with changing the shells more regularly and using the test kits you mentioned.

It really helps to have support online! Wish I could have this at work !

:)

Thank you :)

So far one of the tanks has improved, but the other is more of a challenge. I'll keep a close eye on things.

Thanks again, R

Whenever water sits for awhile, especially in a tank with gravel or rocks, the ph will go down, from dissolved organics and absorbtion of water based minerals into the rocks. I wouldnt worry about it too much, just check it once and awhile and add buffer like this guy said. Goldfish dont like high ph anyways,and their not picky, anywhere from 6-8 is fine for them prefering neutral 7.

Whenever water sits for awhile, especially in a tank with gravel or rocks, the ph will go down, from dissolved organics and absorbtion of water based minerals into the rocks. I wouldnt worry about it too much, just check it once and awhile and add buffer like this guy said. Goldfish dont like high ph anyways,and their not picky, anywhere from 6-8 is fine for them prefering neutral 7.

Thanks for your help :)

Pot ash will definitely raise your ph and I've used it to balance water that was out of wack before when I cleaned with vinegar during the move and didn't rinse. It's pure potassium carbonate, but I don't think it adds much buffering capacity to the water. Perhaps you could pick up a cheap hob filter and fill it with crushed coral instead of filter media?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had some wisteria in there and they didn't die. I don't have enough light to grow plants so mine are fake.

Pot ash will definitely raise your ph and I've used it to balance water that was out of wack before when I cleaned with vinegar during the move and didn't rinse. It's pure potassium carbonate, but I don't think it adds much buffering capacity to the water. Perhaps you could pick up a cheap hob filter and fill it with crushed coral instead of filter media?

Thanks for the tip, energiser bunny (very cute character!!).

Back
Top Bottom