Lower my nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickyst1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I use the Berlin Method on my 2-1/2 year FOWLER setup (65gal with proflex sump). My nitrates have always been high (40-50ppm)but lately I have been trying to lower with little result. In the last 2 weeks I have performed two twenty Gallon changes and a thirty Gallon change last night.They are now about 30-40ppm. My SWC protein skimmer was not working well for about 6 month's and I finally found that the air intake was clogged, fixed that about a month ago. My tank or sump area is all in good working order now. I have noticed greater growth on my rocks and have lost a few of my favorites...yellow eye Kole, Fat Lawnmower Blenny and a large Coral Banded Shrimp. 6 fish present in tank now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick
Gloucester , Va.

Before dosing (which will work, but can be a bit tricky) I would make sure that skimmer is working, water exchanges were happening and consider adding some algae, like chaeto to the sump with a inexpensive clip on light. Algae is the best, safest and easiest way to export nitrogen by products.

Cut back on feedings and check your PWC water to make sure you are not adding them in when you do a PWC.

new to adding anything to sump. How so? The first bay is the socks, second is the protein skimmer, sponge, then the last bay is the return pump....Where do I put this "chaeto"?

Put some aqua4bella in
Tank will get cloudy but it will clear

You could also use a nitrate reduction pad, and or marine land has a nitrate reduction additive as well. I also have the pro flex sump.

Back
Top Bottom