Lowering tank water hardness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leila

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks - quick question: has anyone used the api water softener pillow? The water in our 20-gallon tank is good in every category except hardness and I’m afraid that if I use it, it might set one of the other parameters (ph, nitrates, etc) off. Obviously, I am no chemist!
Also, the change is supposed to take place over 48 hours and I don’t know if that will shock the fish (mollies, catfish and tetras). Any experience you have to share would be appreciated.

That's a good question. Water softening is generally just putting some salt into the water to replace the mineral, so it should be ok, but someone who knows more about that API product should be able to says if it affects other parameters very much.

Your Tank Water

Hi folks - quick question: has anyone used the api water softener pillow? The water in our 20-gallon tank is good in every category except hardness and I’m afraid that if I use it, it might set one of the other parameters (ph, nitrates, etc) off. Obviously, I am no chemist!
Also, the change is supposed to take place over 48 hours and I don’t know if that will shock the fish (mollies, catfish and tetras). Any experience you have to share would be appreciated.

Hello Lei...

As long as you're keeping fish from the local pet store and not trying to keep and breed rare species, you don't need to worry about the chemistry of your tap water. Trying to change it is risky. The fish, properly acclimated, will adapt. As long as the chemistry is stable, the fish will be fine.

B

Hello Lei...

As long as you're keeping fish from the local pet store and not trying to keep and breed rare species, you don't need to worry about the chemistry of your tap water. Trying to change it is risky. The fish, properly acclimated, will adapt. As long as the chemistry is stable, the fish will be fine.

B

Thank you! I was just hoping to add a shrimp and understand that hard water is bad for them, in particular as they molt.

I cut the water in my water changes with RO/DI water to lower the hardness.

It's not the cheapest way, but it's better than using chemicals. If your KH
is low, treating water for GH can make the water more unstable, and create
pH flucuations, which stresses fish. Buffers can sometimes create problems.

Best advice has been given, imho. Slowly aclimate fish to your water
conditions, and stay away from species that require very soft water.

Back
Top Bottom