LS question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skratchiechan

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello guys I just got my 60g tank up and running. i added salt and dechlorinizer and the hydrometer is reading at 1.023. the water temp is not at 78 yet... just curious to know if I can add the LS in before the temp reaches to 78? thanks!

specs of my tank
60g (48x15x17)
1 koralia evo 750gph
1 marineland heater 200w
aquaeuro skimmer

ps
was also wondering if I needed another PH or is this enough to create flow in my tank.

sure, you can add it now. it's not heated in the bag. the power head question is going to be up to your needs. is this just a fish tank or will you keep corals? for corals you are going to have to decide on which corals you intend to keep and add flow as needed per each species.

Also if you are doing corals you might want to consider going to RO/DI water. Tap water will not be in your reef tanks best interest.

wow thanks for the quick response!!!
I want to eventually add corals but want to get the hang of things before. from now on I will be using RO water for PCW.

it's not really going to effect anything either way, but i would leave it off because it's probably going to get full of sand dust when you add the sand.

ok last question for now ;)

I had it on while I was adding the LS and I noticed lil bit of sand dust in the skimmer should I take it out and rinse it? or just let it be?
thanks mr.x!

i would just be concerned about the impeller of the pump sucking up sand particles. it probably won't, but it might do it some damage.

For the short period of time the skimmer pump was on I doubt it caused any impeller damage. But I would clean the skimmer of the sand and put it back, but leave it turned off till the cycle is complete.

it's not normal. what are you using to measure salinity? a swing arm hydrometer? they are very inaccurate. check to see if any air bubbles are attached to the arm.
i would raise the salinity to .025-.026

Im using the hydrometer... so if there are no air bubbles should I add more salt and if so how much of it? maybe 1/4 of a cup?

well, hydrometers are inaccurate as i stated above. it may still be incorrect. meanwhile, you would add a little, let it circulate a bit, then add more if necessary. you can't just go by the recommendations on the package because there are more variables to consider, like for instance, the water temp.

just added more salt and the salinity is at 1.023/4... and the water temp at 79

edit: also there's this glass piece on the middle of the tank (on the top) I was wondering if that is going to affect my lighting in any way? I want to a reef tank

no. it won't effect your lighting, unless you have a single bulb right over top of that brace. what fixture are you considering for the tank?
btw, .026 is the target salinity.

thanks mr.x! I'm not sure what kind of fixture to get atm. something that is powerful enough to get to the corals and reef. do you recommend any fixtures?

edit: also there's this glass piece on the middle of the tank (on the top) I was wondering if that is going to affect my lighting in any way?

the reason i asked what fixture you are using, is some fixtures have a single metal halide bulb right in the middle. i would say this brace would effect your lighting if this was the one you had/considered.
if you went with t-5s or something, the brace would not effect it.

I thought about getting the HQI with the light in the middle, but I completely forgot about the brace on my 55gallon. Here are the 2 lights I looked at; and I think this is an example to what Doug was referencing.

Attachments

• mh1.jpg
    mh1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 69
  • mh2.jpg
    mh2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom