lucky?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smomus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm not sure why I haven't killed my fish!? I bought my 30 gal fully ready...or so I thought. I've had very little experience with fish so after buying this used tank I threw it all together added water (at least I knew enough to add dechlorinator) and added the fish. I did 25% pwc about every 3 days for 3 our so weeks but that's it.
Then I realize that the filter needed, well, a filter ha! It was just turning water, not actually filtering it. While looking for the right filter, I decide I want an air pump, too. While looking at the air pumps that are next to the heaters, i realize the heater that came with the used tank is for a 5-10g tank, a third the size of mine! Ugh! So I go home and rinse everything off, lower the water, add the filter media, air stones, and new heater, fill the tank back up and let it run for a few days.
Then I decide I don't like the way it looks so I catch all the fish (oh btw i've figured out I inherited a way over stocked tank) put them in a bucket and totally clean out the tank. By that I mean take everything out, bleach the decorations and tank and wash the filter and gravel/rocks with HOT water. Put everything back in, add some dechlorinator wait for an hour or 2, test for ammonia, and put fish back in..
Though this all I still have the exact same fish. On Monday I finally bought the full API master testing kit. When I tested the water the ammonia was at .25 where its always been. The Ph was about 8.2, trite 0, and trate 40. I did about 25% pwc last night and today the only thing that changed was the trates and they lowered to 5ppm.
So I guess my question is this...is it possible my tap water is naturally good for fish? I live in an area where our water is pumped from the Bear River then treated. I read about every one that have lost fish because they didn't cycle their tank and realize I probably should have done it twice. So am I just lucky our do I have naturally good fish water?

How many fish have you got? what kind and size? Do you have plants in the tank? How long is the tank running with your fish in it? I think your tank is probably not cycled and the ammonia hasn't built up yet. The parameters of your tap water won't make a difference because you need the good bacteria to break up your ammonia and nitrits and they only start building up as a result of ammonia being introduced to your tank. I would keep a sharp eye on ammonia levels daily cause if the fish have been there for a short while (under 2 weeks or so) the ammonia might not have built up yet. If it goes up you will need to do a fish-in cycle which your fish will probably not like. Keep us posted and good luck!

Hmm hadn't considered that it hasn't cycled because I just assumed it was a given to lose fish when cycling.
I got the tank Feb 22nd. I bought it already established so I added the fish once it was set up. I did buy the api ammonia tester and have watched that close the whole time but wasn't able to get the whole master kit until Monday. I have watched the ammonia closely and once it rose to .5ppm, 3 or so days after I did the intense clean out. I did a 50% pwc and it remains at .25. That is what my tap water tests at too. So idk how to lower that?
I have a 30gal with a Bala shark, angel fish, rainbow shark, a common pleco, 3 black skirts, 2 Molly, a Betta, and 4 tetras. (Like I said before I know its over stocked. I'm going to get another, larger aquarium soon and have both.) They are all small currently. The angelfish is about 3 in. the pleco is maybe 3.5. I have one live plant but I do not know what it is. Ooh and I have some snails...I think they are called trumpeter snails..?

Cleaning your tank shouldn't cause an ammonia spike. Even with ammonia in your tap water, if cycled, the tank will take care if it. There is such a thing as over cleaning as well as under cleaning. Don't change filter media, don't scrub decorations and don't bleach anything.

Hmmm ok good to know! I did that because I watched a YouTube vid that said to. Guess that's what happens when I get info about fish/aquariums somewhere besides here lol

Back
Top Bottom