M/F rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbie_dave

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have just bought these 2 rams (gbr ?) They were the last 2 in an empty tank but they were labelled as assorted rams just wondering if anyone could see if they are m/f because I have searched on Google for the signs but I ain't sure, I think they are both female but I'm probably wrong haha

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1433250432552.jpg
    1433250432552.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 1433250455158.jpg
    1433250455158.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 107
Top one might be a male, I cannot really tell (Picture Quality). But if that black dot is solid black in the middle (no reflective scales) then its probably a male. The 2nd picture I am really unsure of.

They both look male. Looks like the bottom is getting beat on or wasting.. sunken belly could be an issue. Tell us all about them and your tank please

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They both look male. Looks like the bottom is getting beat on or wasting.. sunken belly could be an issue. Tell us all about them and your tank please

How can you tell on the bottom? Just a little more coloration than a female (even though it is very washed out?)

How can you tell on the bottom? Just a little more coloration than a female (even though it is very washed out?)

Just doesn't look like a female to me, no tell tale characteristics.

Hey guys, I have them in a jewel rio 125 litre tank with sand substrate plastic plants i have put 2 coconut caves in there is wood and stones in there aswell I also have one penguin tetra and a glolight tetra that came with the tank as I bought it from a friend, I can try and get more pictures but the one with the top picture the colours are so bold but the other is hiding in a cave and like you say just looks washed out I have done a water test and everything is showing up as all good not sure what to try I have no way or seperating them apart from phtiing more caves in the tank

Ignore the mess I knocked the filter and opened up and stuff came out

Attachments

• 1433273703015.jpg
    1433273703015.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 1433273735955.jpg
    1433273735955.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 79
The discoloured on keeps doing this weird shudder I used to keep apisto cacs and I know that's like a sign of affection but I wasn't sure if it's the same or if it's telling it to bugger off

Is it like a little flick, when in front of the other, 2 or 3 times? Followed by a peck at the substrate or an ornament within close proximity ?

Sounds like a male dancing for a female to me, its what my male used to do for my female, now he just chases her

Ah well I will see what they are like in the morning give them time to settle in they have only been in the tank for 11 hours

Sounds like a male dancing for a female to me, its what my male used to do for my female, now he just chases her

It's definitely not, "Prior to spawning, a flat stone will be cleaned or a pit will be dug in the substrate, sometimes adjacent to a stone. Nudging and twirling are two other clear signs of forthcoming spawning, and sometimes the male blue ram can be observed darting away from or sliding against the body of the female."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks like they have paired as the are swimming side by side but I have notice that they like to go behind a certain plant that has a flat stone behind not sure what's going on behind there but I will try and get pics or a video see what you think

I doubt there's anything going on. If the washed out fish is indeed female, which the second set of pics seems to show, she is nowhere near ready to spawn.

It's definitely not, "Prior to spawning, a flat stone will be cleaned or a pit will be dug in the substrate, sometimes adjacent to a stone. Nudging and twirling are two other clear signs of forthcoming spawning, and sometimes the male blue ram can be observed darting away from or sliding against the body of the female."

I dont really understand your reply. Are you saying what my male does in front of my female isnt dancing? Or i dont have a male and a female?

I figure what my male does for my female isnt spawning behaviour, hes trying to impress her in order to pair, like majority of males in the animal kingdom do.

I dont recall saying my ( or the op ) rams are spawning!

This both of them swimming together "male" right "female" left still pretty washed out I have also took a picture of my setup is there anything I should change to make it more suitable more plants maybe? I tried to divide the tank with the wood but I don't seem to have help at all any advise would be great

Attachments

• 1433403077099.jpg
    1433403077099.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 1433403138507.jpg
    1433403138507.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 78
The very first pic u posted ( and the third ) if I was sexing that ram in a store, I'd say that is 100% male because of the front rays on his dorsal fin, is he the 1 that leads or follows?

Back
Top Bottom