Macscale's 55g Reef Upgraded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good to see I'm not only one getting excited about setting up new tank. I'm piecing together my first SW and each piece is like that much closer to finish line

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well it's my 3rd but you know, same thing. Haha, I think everyone gets excited about a new tank.

What about a couple value fixtures from reefbreeders? Same thing as the Taos but from a great company.

What about a couple value fixtures from reefbreeders? Same thing as the Taos but from a great company.

I was considering them. I just really liked the idea of pendant lighting and trying something a little different on the forum. Lighting has always been the hardest decision on my tanks.

I am using par 38's! They are pretty good I really like the pedant lighting! I am currently building my own 100watt pendant light, just 100$ per light from eBay parts!

@nelix 10 pics of those lights? Looking into lighting options for my first build

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397577256.764112.jpg the lights I currently have are the rapid led par 38 mixed bulb! I have not received the parts for the new lights yet! I am fairly new to this hobby so my only advice is try to get the right lights the first time! I am on my 3rd set and about to build my 4th! Don't make that mistake!

This will be my first SW so fed taking my time buying and researching I'm using my gf's old 30 her sister gave us the 100 gal so that'd her rd community that I took over maintaining wich got me I to the hobby

I think I'll just pony up get the tatonic one but always looking for opinions

Myself I just hate the look of the Tao style
Lights! I built my entire tank and sump so I thought maybe I could build lights too:)

View attachment 233414 the lights I currently have are the rapid led par 38 mixed bulb! I have not received the parts for the new lights yet! I am fairly new to this hobby so my only advice is try to get the right lights the first time! I am on my 3rd set and about to build my 4th! Don't make that mistake!

What size tank is that? Par38s probably wouldn't penetrate a 55 enough.

It's a 40 gal 18 deep! More then adequate for Lps and is keeping colour on my Sps as well I just want a to see a little more growth!

Using hob skimmer for mine only reason is 2 years ago we had a power out during a blizzard the canister cracked open and the 100 galling went roughly 2/3 into the floor so landlord wasn't pleased tried making my gf get rid of tank. Long story short I ended up repairing our floor and downstairs ceiling out of pocket and am in HOB land for any filters/skimmer

It's a 40 gal 18 deep! More then adequate for Lps and is keeping colour on my Sps as well I just want a to see a little more growth!

Do you have acropora? I'm very curious, I've only seen nano tanks lit via par38 and anywhere I've read seems they don't have enough punch for a deep tank.

Well, I just left the wine store where the tanked tank was. And Boy am I very disappointed and impressed. The wine tank is definitely the best out of the 5 tanks at the store.
I am proud to say that the store has learned about cycling the aquarium, and got rid of most of the fish ATM had put in. Currently there are 3 squirrel fish and a yellow tang. The tank is stunning when you walk in and is maintained very well.
However, I wish I could say that about the rest if the tanks at the store. Three other salt tanks, a fresh tank and a terrarium can be found in the store. The second biggest salt tank seems to get the most attention. Clean, well stocked, except it's quite artificial. Which goes for all of the tanks in the store. All but one located in the pure alcohol are filled with mostly fake freshwater plants. The corals that are in the tanks aren't very well maintained.
They have radions lighting two of the tanks. However their color balance is WAYYYY off. Not correct for support photosynthetic creatures. Way too much green and red... Not sure what the owner is thinking.
There are also major cases of salt creep and Cyano in some of the tanks. Looks terrible.
In reality the only good tank in the store is the one by ATM... Funny huh? Overall I am definitely impressed by te tanked team, but the owner needs to step up his game.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397584163.268517.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397584200.414113.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397584265.816917.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397584284.044418.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397584309.184305.jpg

I do enjoy the tanked show always thought it isn't cycled and way over stocked for the camera

Lol the reef tank looks like a fw tank! The atm tank looks sweet but they still stocked it improperly. An it goes to show you the tanks don't cycle instantly like tanked says. Very cool though for sharing. I have to go see the one they did in the Annapolis mall since I'm so close

Lol the reef tank looks like a fw tank! The atm tank looks sweet but they still stocked it improperly. An it goes to show you the tanks don't cycle instantly like tanked says. Very cool though for sharing. I have to go see the one they did in the Annapolis mall since I'm so close

Yeah, that'd be cool if you ever go. I think they stock the tank with the fish just so they can film it, then get rid if the rest. I wouldn't call them reef tanks they are like planeefs.. A mix between planted and reef.

Is all the green cyano in the second pic? Also are there any corals but Kenya tree?

Especially when all the corals are fake so you know those beasts have a long set up it's not put together and pull out the c client, here's your big glass o milk

Back
Top Bottom