Made a LFS trip today..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chantal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Made a LFS trip today and got some new fish!

30 gallon now sitting at:
1 male, 3 female guppies
4 zebra danios
4 ghost shrimp
1 weather loach

I guess we've decided to have a community tank after all. Saw an O choking :bawl: at the store. I don't think he'll make the night. Also, tested the LFS water when we got home.. Suprisingly not THAT bad.

Anyways - whole point of this post is I'm wondering three things:

1) Moss balls - I LOVE the idea of them.. Are there any special considerations before getting one? or three :lol:

2) Centerpiece fish - I'd like one or maybe couple centerpiece fish what would be alright with the current fish. Suggestions? What's worked well for you - or sometimes more importantly what hasn't.

3) Other fish to add - what else could we add other than what we currently have? Just to add some variety.

you may want to up the danio school to about six, and be prepared for lots and lots of baby guppies, what are you going to do with them?

On that note, I would suggest a gourami or two (properly sexed) to check your guppies. Something thats a predator.

Yeah gouramis would limit the guppy fry!
Moss balls are very easy to keep. Just put one in your tank and make sure it rolls a little to keep it round.
Near me Petsmart has the cheapest moss or Marino balls!

On that note, I would suggest a gourami or two (properly sexed) to check your guppies. Something thats a predator.

Properly sexed being? Male male, female male, female female? I don't want everything wiped out by gouramis or I'd keep just gouramis, will they eat full grown guppies? Do you know how to sex them? I feel more comfortable knowing how myself than relying on the LFS (while I do have a couple pretty good ones here, I still like to know myself :))

you may want to up the danio school to about six, and be prepared for lots and lots of baby guppies, what are you going to do with them?

Only going to have lots of babies if I save them.. Natural selection will take care of the first 2-3 drops. After that I'll start saving a few, got a couple extra aquariums that need to cycle and then they'll be fry-ready. The LFS here accept them, took in some cobra guppies before getting the sunset and albino. I'm not interest in receiving money or trades so long as they're not being destroyed (ie. feeder fish, toilet..) I'm quite looking forward to some albino babies:)

Yeah gouramis would limit the guppy fry!
Moss balls are very easy to keep. Just put one in your tank and make sure it rolls a little to keep it round.
Near me Petsmart has the cheapest moss or Marino balls!

Do they need to be trimmed down like other aquarium plants? Will they just keep growing and growing and GROWING.. Or stay the same size? I guess my main reservation to any plants is the maintenance.. I don't want to have to trim down plants all the time and I'm not exactly an aquascaping expert. But these balls are pretty great looking and if they're maintenance free minus a roll weekly that's EASY.

Chantal said:
Do they need to be trimmed down like other aquarium plants? Will they just keep growing and growing and GROWING.. Or stay the same size? I guess my main reservation to any plants is the maintenance.. I don't want to have to trim down plants all the time and I'm not exactly an aquascaping expert. But these balls are pretty great looking and if they're maintenance free minus a roll weekly that's EASY.

they don't need to be trimmed at all. They will grow to baseball size. The only maintenance is when you do a pwc squeeze the moss ball in your dirty tank water that you took out of your tank. Moss balls act as a sort of filter picking up particles in the water. Do not squeeze it in your tank!

The gouramis will eat the baby guppies and should leave the adults alone. Either one male one female or two males, you'll have to look that up on your own as I don't know off the top of my head. I do know that two males would be an issue.

FreshwaterTropical said:
they don't need to be trimmed at all. They will grow to baseball size. The only maintenance is when you do a pwc squeeze the moss ball in your dirty tank water that you took out of your tank. Moss balls act as a sort of filter picking up particles in the water. Do not squeeze it in your tank!

Yea, they actually a macro form of algae.

Back
Top Bottom