Making a nitrate filter!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tap water has a pretty high level of nitrates in it and recently I've been really struggeling to keep them under control. Spending five-seven hours a week doing water changes is alot and while I dont mind doing them I'd like to cut down on that. I had an idea. I was looking for a way to make a filter for my betta bowl and I thought, what if I made a filter and put nitrate removing filter media in it? Maybe I would buy a submersible filter and fill it with the filter media. Ideas?? Any sugestions on what filter to use?? I'd really appriciate the help I cant keep doing this. Its not healthy for my goldfish.

It would probably cost you a small fortune in barely effective nitrate absorbing media. Get an RO/DI unit, will be cheaper in the long run.

I was gonna buy the colbolt anti-nitrate media. It works for 15 days and I dont need it to work miricles just to keep them under control so I dont have to do two to three water changes a week. It gives me two filter pads for 11$. I'm gonna buy a 40gal submersible filter that way I can fill it with whatever media I want it my tap waters nitrates ever go back down. For now I think it will work.

I'd love to buy a better filter but i onl have about 35$ to spend right now. I"m hoping to buy myself a nice canister filter around christmas time.

Miyavp said:
I was gonna buy the colbolt anti-nitrate media. It works for 15 days and I dont need it to work miricles just to keep them under control so I dont have to do two to three water changes a week. It gives me two filter pads for 11$. I'm gonna buy a 40gal submersible filter that way I can fill it with whatever media I want it my tap waters nitrates ever go back down. For now I think it will work.

It won't do a thing sorry.

Cynic said:
It won't do a thing sorry.

Why do you say that? I know long term this isnt a solution but my fish are at the point of almost nitrate poisoning. If anything it will keep them from being poisoned.

Miyavp said:
My tap water has a pretty high level of nitrates in it and recently I've been really struggeling to keep them under control. Spending five-seven hours a week doing water changes is alot and while I dont mind doing them I'd like to cut down on that. I had an idea. I was looking for a way to make a filter for my betta bowl and I thought, what if I made a filter and put nitrate removing filter media in it? Maybe I would buy a submersible filter and fill it with the filter media. Ideas?? Any sugestions on what filter to use?? I'd really appriciate the help I cant keep doing this. Its not healthy for my goldfish.

What size bowl is your Betta in? How high are your tap nitrates? What level are they when you do a water change?

Miyavp said:
Why do you say that? I know long term this isnt a solution but my fish are at the point of almost nitrate poisoning. If anything it will keep them from being poisoned.

Nitrate removing filter is, in my experience, universally ineffective.

Continue the water changes and increase the amount if needed. Save the money up for an inexpensive RO/DI filter. For the price of the filter you are going to buy and one month of media, that will have questionable results, you are almost halfway there.

shellieca said:
What size bowl is your Betta in? How high are your tap nitrates? What level are they when you do a water change?

Oh no the bettas fine. It isnt him i'm worried about. Its my goldfish. My tap water is in the red so around 40ppms. Its a mastertest kit. I dont really have time to always be testing the levels to I've been changing it around twice a week if I dont they start bottom sitting. 30-40% water changes aproximately. Its a 37gal tank. I've been having to run to a friends house to get water. Her water has clorhine in it but its easier to remove than the nitrates. In fact I just got done doing one. I added a little bit of aquarium salt they seem a little stressed. Only a tsp or two.

blert said:
Continue the water changes and increase the amount if needed. Save the money up for an inexpensive RO/DI filter. For the price of the filter you are going to buy and one month of media, that will have questionable results, you are almost halfway there.

Well I got the filter on sale for 12$ and the media for 11$ and i cant seem to find any ro/di filters that cost anything under 150$ so i'll give this a shot before looking into that. When I do go to buy a new filter what do you suggest. I was going to buy a canister filter but whats the differance between these and an ro/di filter?

Miyavp said:
Well I got the filter on sale for 12$ and the media for 11$ and i cant seem to find any ro/di filters that cost anything under 150$ so i'll give this a shot before looking into that. When I do go to buy a new filter what do you suggest. I was going to buy a canister filter but whats the differance between these and an ro/di filter?

RO/DI filters are for your water supply not exactly for your fish tank. You attach the RO/DI filter to a water supply and it filters out all the funk from the water. You then replenish with good minerals and use that water in your fish tank. If you get one with a DI bypass you can then drink the RO water yourself saving you from buying bottled drinking water or using some sort of Brita thing.

Miyavp said:

Canister filters won't reduce your nitrate levels sadly

Cynic said:
Canister filters won't reduce your nitrate levels sadly

So what filter would you suggest? Eventually I'm hoping to upgrade to a 75gal eventually. I have a 37 right now. Its a showtank too.

Miyavp said:
So what filter would you suggest? Eventually I'm hoping to upgrade to a 75gal eventually. I have a 37 right now. Its a showtank too.

If you're after general filter advice that's a different, but much easier, topic. If you're after a filter that reduces nitrate levels you're out of luck sorry.

jetajockey said:
Sorry I just noticed that you posted it earlier in the thread. Personally if it were my tank I'd just leave it be and do shthe big weekly wcs.

But this involves driving to my friends house filling up20 one gal jugs of water then dragging them back to my house then pouring them into a giant bucket so I can declohrinate them and heat them to room temp. Them having to pump them into the tank getting water all over my carpet. Not to mention the stress this is having on my fish two to three times a week. They dart around the tank eraticly everytime I even move and then half way through the week I'll catch them sitting lethargicly on the bottom of the tank because of the nitrate levels.

Back
Top Bottom