Making a nitrate filter!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Natural Nitrate Remover

My tap water has a pretty high level of nitrates in it and recently I've been really struggeling to keep them under control. Spending five-seven hours a week doing water changes is alot and while I dont mind doing them I'd like to cut down on that. I had an idea. I was looking for a way to make a filter for my betta bowl and I thought, what if I made a filter and put nitrate removing filter media in it? Maybe I would buy a submersible filter and fill it with the filter media. Ideas?? Any sugestions on what filter to use?? I'd really appriciate the help I cant keep doing this. Its not healthy for my goldfish.

Hello Miy...

Depending on the size of the tank, you can emerse the roots of a Chinese Evergreen in the water with the leaves above. I use this plant in my larger tanks to help purify the tank water and reduce the amount of tank water I have to remove and replace. The nitrate levels in my tanks went from 40 ppm to around 10 in a matter of days.

Might be worth researching. If you need any specific info., just let me know.

B

Oh I dont mind the water changes. Its the three+ a week is whats getting me.
Check out Seachem Matrix(can be used in any filter) and/or Fluval Lab Series Nitrate Remover. I have the same issue as you and i'm gonna give both a try. Have read good reports on both.....

Check out Seachem Matrix(can be used in any filter) and/or Fluval Lab Series Nitrate Remover. I have the same issue as you and i'm gonna give both a try. Have read good reports on both.....

I found cutting back on feeding helps ALOT. Or feeding peas or veggis because they absorb more of the food and make less waste. I havent yet had a chance to try that but I have more pressing problems with my tank right now.

Really sick ryukin =\ it really sucks cause I dont know whats wrong with him yet. The internal parasite medication isnt helping.

I found cutting back on feeding helps ALOT. Or feeding peas or veggis because they absorb more of the food and make less waste. I havent yet had a chance to try that but I have more pressing problems with my tank right now.

Really sick ryukin =\ it really sucks cause I dont know whats wrong with him yet. The internal parasite medication isnt helping.
Well i hope you get the problem with him sorted soon.....

The number 1 best nitrate filter are pothos! And the best part, they only cost $10.

Well i hope you get the problem with him sorted soon.....

Me too :( I'm worried his internal organs are being damaged. I'm starting to think its bacterial and not parasitic so I'll be starting to feed him kanaplex instead in about a week. Giving him epsom or methylene blue baths too.

My poor baby :( he's a fighter thats for sure

Aquaripure nitrate filter....but they are really expensive

I've just decided to bum water off people until I move. Then make myself a drip system so I never have to actually do water changes again :) Brilliant :)

Hi, I'm about to start using purigen in my tank. Will be using a reactor so will let you know how I get on. I have three goldies in a 120l tank and the nitrates are always high, due in part to the tap water. Good luck with yours, goldies aren't fish but pets :)

Back
Top Bottom