Making a water pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a nice looking clay pot that can hold 5 gallons. I plan on filling it up and put water plants in. The pot will be placed where it'll get morning and post afternoon sun.

What kind of fish(I'm thinking mosquito fish) and the quantity I can put in? Will there be enough oxygen for the fish?

With plants there should be enough oxygen, but if you really want to avoid Hypoxia then put an air stone in the pot. Mosquito fish, gold fish, and depending on where you are geologically, guppies. I'd say you could put a few fish in there, 10 small guys max (which would still be overstocked) unless you do a lot of water changes.

I haven't got as much experience as pp but as I understand, 5 gallons is waaaay too small for a goldfish. Or 10 guppies unless you're already an expert (and even then) ... One betta might be good, in a color that contrasts with the pot, because they are pretty from above while many fish aren't. But I don't know how content any fish are in a dark pot that is that small? Maybe it's comforting but that's outside my knowledge. I'd suggest asking in the plant forum, and researching nano tanks. I ignored the advice for a long time but 5 gallons is very small and hard to keep stable.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Yeah, I'm thinking he is right. Maybe do 3-5 Mosquito Fish, as they will take care of the possibility that Mosquitos may try laying eggs there.

Thanks for the input, mosquito fish it is.

I know the pot is small and I'm trying to keep it void of chemicals as much as it can be.
If I leave the plants in the pot for a few days, will the water be safe for the fish or do I still need to add chemicals?

Water naturally de-chlorinates over a few days, so yes. Also, the plants will help give off good bacteria and infusoria. I'm not sure if you could get away with not putting chemicals in but it is very likely.

At my place we did very large pots with fish and plants and still used Prime as we have bad water as far as chlorine goes. Just be careful that the pots are away from an grills or firepits or anything that smokes as this may kill the fish.

I would not add a goldfish. A betta or possibly a pair of sparkling gouramis could work.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You should still dechlorinate the water as it removes not just chlorine but it also detoxifies any heavy metals that are in your water.

An interesting thought about your project, but what if you make it as a sleeve that will fit over a large bowl or vase of some sort? This will give you a nice viewing window as well as keeping the pottery look you're going for.

I would suggest running a small sponge filter on a tank rather than having stagnant water. It will help keep ammonia in the tank down.

Back
Top Bottom