Malawi eye biter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stuttle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sorry for the newbie questions, any comments would help.

1.)What size of tank do you guys suggest i put them in.(where to buy tank)
2.)What other fish can they live with.
3.)Where to buy them from, or is anyone selling them
4.)What filter system(current have 55gal-75gal Bio-Wheel)

Thanks Cody

pm DeFeKt. he's been keeping and breeding them for a long time. there are some misconceptions about this fish.

I kept two in a 75 gallon malawi tank. Really cool fish. i usually do not buy fish from petSmart, but that is where I got those. Very healthy and very cool fish. Had to give them away when i moved, hated that....

1.)Depends how many, 3-4 in a 75 or a small colony in 100+

2.)I keep and breed mine in a rather assorted mbuna/hap community.. From experience they only get nasty around breeding time. Even then they don't actually "attack" other fish, they just herd them away from the breeding pit.
Having said that, a 15cm dimi comp will quickly back down when a 6cm Acei challenges his authoritaaah!! (very funny sight actually)
Just for the record, my community as includes fish that are big enough for them to eat, so their hunting instinct can be "grown out of them"

3.) Can't help you, i'm in Aus sorry.

4.)The more the merrier, this is a general aquaria type question, they're not overly messy and will finish most meals. I hand feed mine so I know they will get their fair share and not spit any out.

Few more points:
The fry are very touchy. Keep pristine water conditions and feed little amounts regularly..
If you don't you could lose the entire herd of fry within hours.
Never underestimate their intelligence, if they want to get into a tight or unreachable spot, they will. IE. fry nets
I have only ever experienced "eye biting" amongst there own kind. Even then it could not be 100% proven so I have my doubts of this name.

When you find some, love them and appreciate them.
They will reward you with countless spawns, and will grow to appreciate you in return.

Thanks a alot guys for all the input. I was asking so many fry questions becuse I am going to buy them as fry and dont want more then one male. Pet store said they would take them back but for half the price. The fish for sale are all fry about 3in long and all look the same.

Back
Top Bottom