Malaysian Trumpet Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purrbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got some of these snails in both my tanks. Picked some up for free awhile back from the LFS since they're supposed to be good in planted tank for stirring the substate and general clean up. I really like them, but I'm curious about one thing. Most of what I've read about these snails led me to believe that they would spend most of their time in the substate and only venture out during the night. The thing is that I almost alway see a few of these snails patroling my tanks at all hours. Busy cleaning the glass, plant leaves, etc.

So how about the rest of you with MTS. Do you see yours during the day or do they only venture out at night?

They come out at all times for me too. Mostly it seems to depend on the tank. In the main tank, with loaches and such, they stay well hidden. in other tanks they are out some during the day.

I wonder if any of my MTS actually dig into the sand substrate at all. They all seem to be out at all times -- maybe 20 of them?

I have a few and I did see them constantly during the day when first introduced (thanks Joe). Since then, I rarely see them and occassionally disturb them during plantings.

Loaches will tend to leave MTS alone if other food is readily available. The shape of thier shells make it difficult to get at them without injuring themselves.

I usually have some MTS in my java moss eating bits of flakes that fall in it or they'll be in the "roots" of my java ferns eating stuff. The rest just stay in the gravel.

I hardly ever see my MTS during the day. Right now, however, I can see around 50....mostly babies. When morning comes, they will all have found their way back beneath the sand.

if they start spreading does this mean my calculation of one inch per gallon rule just went out the window, I mean if I calculate my fish growth and a couple of these to be my limit and then boom I have 100, this means my bio load just went up alot right?

kaz said:
if they start spreading does this mean my calculation of one inch per gallon rule just went out the window, I mean if I calculate my fish growth and a couple of these to be my limit and then boom I have 100, this means my bio load just went up alot right?

I have never followed the one inch per gallon rule and I don't have any problems. That rule is just a safety rule for beginners (basically). And the snails would add to the bioload, but they would also reduce it by eating left over waste that cause their population boom in the first place. All you really have to do is when you vacuum the substrate move it around and you'll get tons of small snails.

Back
Top Bottom