male betta in community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zachxlutz

Aquarium Advice Regular
i feel bad for my betta that sits in a vase in my bathroom. can i put him in my 29 gallon community tank that will (eventually) be heavily planted?

the fish i have in there now:
-5 large zebra danios

i plant to add from my 10 gallon:
-3 long finned zebra danio
-1 spotted grourami
-3 neon tetras
-1 serpae tetra
-1 red eyed tetra
-1 balloon molly
-1 male swordtail and possibly a female

so, do you think my male betta would be ok in a 29 gallon tank with those fish?

maybe when i clear out the 10 gallon and put those fish into the 30 gallon i'll make the 10 gallon just all for mr. betta!

what fish could i put with a male betta in a 10 gallon planted tank?

Some small cories would work. Maybe some kind of tetras that aren't too active would work as well.

yeah, i'm looking at the liveaquaria.com compatibility chart maybe i'll go to the LFS and look and see what i can do that might work, so generally speaking fish that aren't too fancy looking and active can do ehhh.... OK with a betta?

that liveaquaria chart isnt the best as it is overly cautious and exadurates aggressiveness of some fish. like RoK said some calm tetras would be alright.

I agree with the cory cat tankmates for the betta in the 10 gallon. Since the cories are bottom dwellers, the betta will ignore them for the most part. However, I don't think tetras are a good idea. I have seen a group of tetras gang up on and nip a betta. Tetras and a betta may work out in a bigger tank, but in a 10 gallon tank, I would not even try the betta/tetras combination. Aggressions among fish are multiplied in a small tank such as the 10 gallon, and fish such as tetras/danios/guppies are a bad idea with a betta. I think the cory cats will be your best choice of tankmates for a betta.

I have some lemon tetras in a 10 gal with a gourami and they don't seem to be too active or bothersome.

An t-iasg: thanks, i guess after i get all my fish over to their new home in the 29g tank, i'll take a look around and see what corys i want to put in the 10g with the betta.

RoK: do you have those lemon tetras and gourami in the tank with a betta?

zachxlutz said:
An t-iasg: thanks, i guess after i get all my fish over to their new home in the 29g tank, i'll take a look around and see what corys i want to put in the 10g with the betta.

You're welcome! The betta will be much happier than in the vase! Be sure to get a heater for the 10 gallon tank, and a filter that doesn't create fast water movement, since bettas don't like current.

yeah the 10 gallon tank is heated to approx. 78 degrees and has a HOB filter with not too much current.

i think he will appreciate it.

thanks everyone.

cheers.

I might give the betta a try in the larger tank and just keep a very close eye on him at first.

My bettas have done well in larger community tanks, even with longer-finned tankmates, because there was plenty of room to establish separate territories.

When I tried to put a betta in a 10-gallon with a few neon tetras, he bit the tail off one of them.

Personally I agree with fearlessfich, I would give it a try, but keep an eye on him for a day or two. I put a male betta in my 29g community tank and he did quite well, even with the fancy male guppies with the big flowing tales and fins.

I tried to keep a betta with male guppies once, and one of the guppies was killed before I could return them. I really wouldn't try it. That's not to say it's impossible, but IMO it is unlikely to be a good match. I just got some pygmy corys for my 5 gallon betta tank and they are working out great so far. The betta doesn't pay any attention to them, and they are really cute! I think you'd like them if you can find any in your area. They definitely stay small enough for a 10 gallon.

black neon, neon, and lemon tetra have no issues with being in a tank with a betta...done this several times over the years. corys should be fine too, as are ottos...really any small, non-aggressive fish.

What about using a divider in the 10-gallon tank? Then the betta could have part of the 10-gallon to himself and you could stock the other side with a few small fish.

Just a thought. :)

my dad had one in with his guppys and mollys and did completely fine. He was happier then being in a glass bowl.
the only time he showed any signs of problem was when there were fry in there and he got hungry.

Back
Top Bottom