Male chasing female guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tinkertrouble

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have several females 2 males 1 male is very very in to chasing 1 female guppy who is close to giving birth I don't know what to do I hate to take the female out she has maybe a week away, I don't know why he started this

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I tried guppies at one point but the constant chasing stressed me out. I rehomed them. Then had the same problem with cherry barbs.

My cardinals and neons are very peaceful to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would try isolating the male first. He might just be a bully. If someone else starts picking on your mama-to-be, consider a divider or nursery set-up.

How big is your tank? How many guppies is several? Do you have any other pregnant females?

the tiny computer is full of delicion!

Tank is 20 gallon 2 male 7 female he is a mean one he is my prettiest male but he is something I separated him for a day did no good I'm at a point I might just half to separate him tell she has her baby's and see if he changes after

If he was so pretty I don't know lol

This is pretty normal to be honest, having kept a guppy colony going for 6 years, more plants and hiding options for your female would help. Males always pester females close to birth in general, you have plenty of females to males. I'd just add more decor and only worry if she seems completely ragged.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Consider a separate tank for males and females. Not long ago a few months back, put about 8 males in my DT and have to say after years of keeping them all together I am soooo pleased. They school together most of the time, and look gorgeous and don't cause any trouble! Perfect!

Last edited:
If possible, separate the males so that you don't stress the female?
The reason why they chase her is because they can smell the fry and these live bearers will eat their own young!!!

Back
Top Bottom