Male GBR is digging in a sand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ice Man

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have pair of GBRs, got them just five days ago. Today I noticed that male is digging in a sand, between plants. First he takes sand in his mouth and spits it out and then spreads sand aside with his belly. Is that normal behavior, some mating ritual? Female is a bit smaller but already has a very nice pink belly.

It's breeding behavior, they'll probably spawn soon in the pit.

This exactly. My rams do this when they can't find a spot they like anywhere else. Except mine don't do it "between" plants. They uprooted half of my rotala wallichii and destroyed my glosso carpet last time they got in the mood.

animalzrok2 said:
what other fish are in there with them?

Dwarf gourami, 3 hy511 tetras (rosy tetra), 4 corydoras melini and 3 kuhli loaches.

cool, i also agree with jetajockey and aqua_chem. post pics along the way!

aqua_chem said:
This exactly. My rams do this when they can't find a spot they like anywhere else. Except mine don't do it "between" plants. They uprooted half of my rotala wallichii and destroyed my glosso carpet last time they got in the mood.

I read that rams usually lay eggs on flat rocks after cleaning them. I just saw male GBR "eating" algae of the rock. Unfortunately DG chased him away. DG still feels like he is the boss in the tank.

animalzrok2 said:
lol, love dg's. hopefully they will go back to the rock... its a nice cave :)

Thanks. First I built a cave from PVC pipe and gravel mixed with silicone. Then I realized it was way too big for my tank and dumped it away. I found few stones and just laid them to look like a cave. Cories love them. They spend most of the time just sitting under.
Yeah, I loved my DG too, but since he became a bully my feelings toward him are much colder. ;-)

YAY! We have eggs! Male is guarding the nest.
Picture is not a good quality because it is reflection.

How are your GBR eggs? I woke up to find mine had devoured there eggs :( oh well next time. they are young. My GF said they had bacon, egg and cheese on a rock for breakfast...i told her shes not funny....i did chuckle a bit though....hope yours are doing well.

Cobaltskyy said:
How are your GBR eggs? I woke up to find mine had devoured there eggs :( oh well next time. they are young. My GF said they had bacon, egg and cheese on a rock for breakfast...i told her shes not funny....i did chuckle a bit though....hope yours are doing well.

Same here. I knew there is very little to practically no chance of hatching. My water ph is 7.4. It is way to high for the eggs to develop properly. Next time I will try to move eggs to hospital tank with softer, lower ph water. (good excuse to buy one more tank)

Back
Top Bottom