Male guppy is bullying other guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pastel-pumpkins

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have three male guppies all of which I've gotten in the past week, I will be adding more in the future, but I am dealing with sick fish right now and I don't think it'd be good to add any more at the moment.

One of my guppies is in a hospital tank since he has a ulcer of some kind behind a fin, but since I've removed him from my main tank one of my smaller guppies have been bullying the other guppy.

Original I had only two guppies in my main tank (10g) both of which are in the tank now, but one of them kept bullying the other so I thought adding another guppy would help and it did. Since I added a guppy the bullying issues stopped all together from what I was aware, I'm normally in the same room as my tanks so I have a close eye on them and I had never seen any bullying after a guppy was added.

Since the newer guppy was removed and put in a hospital tank my other guppy has gone back to bullying the other even worse then before.

I know a male guppy can bully another to death and adding females will help a lot, but I really don't want any fry and I'd feel bad if I let them get ate. :(

If I get any more guppies I will probably be getting them from preuss(If they have them, I haven't been there in awhile I forget.) instead of petco/petsmart since I now know how big of a mistake that was. :ermm:

Sounds like your on track. Ive kept guppies a long time. Theres often a pecking order. Usually the runts or sick get beat on. Lots plants help. They have one track minds....breeding.

The guppy being picked on is actually much larger then the bully so I'm beginning to wonder if he is sick. He has no signs of sickness that I can tell though, but he did come from a store with very poor conditions so sickness isn't unlikely. The only thing I can think of is that he looks more bloated then the others, but he is much bigger then the others. I've been feeding him peas in just in case there's a blockage though.

I have a planted tank with driftwood, but I was thinking about getting a hide till the plants grow some more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom