Male of Female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
garfy said:
Something doesn't quite look right with that fish I've never seen so much blue near the head.

I just got it about a week ago and it's doing great eating a bunch and swimming all over, occasionally has a little scuffle with other cichlids over territory. but as far as the blue it's beautiful and I don't know too much about jewels so idk

garfy said:
Don't get me wrong it looks great and I'd say it was female as makes tend to be a much brighter red.Do you just have the one?

Yeah I adopted it about week ago and it's in my tank with a couple convicts till for the time being

Could be a turquoise jewel. From the pic can't tell real well but are there pointy tips on the dorsal and ventral fin? from the size though leaning more towards male the females tend to be a bit smaller

Shay said:
Could be a turquoise jewel. From the pic can't tell real well but are there pointy tips on the dorsal and ventral fin? from the size though leaning more towards male the females tend to be a bit smaller

Don't agree with the size I've found that brightness of colour denotes the sex of the fish.

I'll look at anal fin Later and maybe take more pics, I'm pretty sure it's round, Atleast rounder than my male JDs fin. And the jewel is probably about 3.5 inches long

Back
Top Bottom