Male or female angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At that size it is a 50-50 toss up. Really no way to sex them until they get much bigger

Everything I read said not to bother trying until the body was larger than a quarter. Mine is approaching 50-cent coin and when I went down the questions I found online, it meets every characteristic of female. So, either Steve is a Stevie or the male hormones haven't kicked in yet. I understand they aren't always so obvious.

The only 100% guaranteed method of sexing an angelfish is to wait until it matures and is ready to spawn. On a female angel the breeding vent will look like a blunt pencil eraser and in a male it will look like a sharpened pencil tip. Female vents are larger and easier to see than vents on the males.

Many individuals make educated guesses on sexes of angels by looking at things such as a humped forehead but honestly these are just guesses. With the breeding of angelfish today and all the color mutations many angels don't have some of the tell tale signs people look for in sexing. I currently have 12 adult breeding angels and only a couple of my males actually have the humped forehead. Angels mature around the age of 8 months. Once larger you can guess what it is but remember it's just an educated guess.

Do you notice behavioral differences at all? Steve/Stevie is very laid back and no evidence at all of territorial behavior so I wondered if that is at all related to gender or if it's youth?

Young angels tend to be much less aggressive than mature and breeding angels.

I've noticed he/ she isn't very aggressive towards any other fish.

Do you guys think my molly is
Pregnant it's hard too see since I can't
See a gravid spotImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393268103.846748.jpg

Back
Top Bottom