Male or female black Molly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mahoney577

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, new to the fish world and need some help please. My kids and I originally thought our black Molly was a female, but the more we learn, the more we are wondering. The bottom fin looks male or female depending the position. What do you think? We have a balloon Molly that we are almost positive is male. We would like to get another female Molly to reduce stress on the black Molly when the time comes.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 121
The lighter colored one if you look at it's lower fin it is L shaped that means it's a male ,

the black one's lower fin is a sail shape that means it's a female ,

two females would get along fine with 1 male ,

do you have a spare tank for the fry to grow out as I'm sure you'll have a lot

Last edited:
Clamped fins

We were also wondering why the black Molly's fins were so close to her body. She didn't look like any online pictures. This was one reason we were having trouble distinguishing male or female. My son said her fins have never been completely up/out since we bought her at Petsmart. We've had her a month and she Comes up to eat. I did notice white stringy poop yesterday. She's in a 10 gal tank with one other male balloon Molly. He is always by her side. The last two days I noticed she has been hanging out in the plant tops. We thought she was trying to escape the male. Just had the water tested yesterday and everything was fine.
Are her clamped fins "normal" or should we try something to help her?
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 75
Honestly, if always clamped down that is not normal. Has the water been checked recently? Remember if you don't have a lot take some to petsmart or petco and get them to test it. That fish may be stressed.

Honestly in the old days I would have used stress coat or maybe today stress coat or prime. I would also check the temp.

Don't stress though.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply about the clamped fins. I've had mollies with clamped fins that have lived for months, but generally it's not a good sign. The fish may have parasites or an internal infection, etc. Watch the fish closely. I've tried using various antibiotics and dewormers, but a lot of times the ones with the clamped fins will not respond. I don't know what it is about mollies, but it seems (that with me at least) that once they "clamp" they don't live much longer. How is she doing now?

Back
Top Bottom