Male Platy LYING ON GRAVEL...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
AGAIN this is happening!!! My male.... Meringue that I got the female for is showing beginning signs of Trixie & her fry. Hes resting on gravel but upright... Not on his side...
I tested water
It was:
7.4, 0, 0, 10 !!
Did an 80% PWC to see if it helped him... My last PWC before that was Monday.
Up until yesterday he was eating.. I think I'll feed bloodworms today to see if he eats.
He never took a liking to new female platy, Cookie... She's as happy as can be and keeps trying to be friends but he chases her away still.
I've had Meringue since Sept last year-- 6 mths. He's survived every beginners issues with no visible harm. Possibly built up?
Bad platy luck lately.. My new platy girl is great, my new female guppy is great, and Black Molly female is normal as usual..

View attachment 85895

Laser said:
When was the last time you noticed him do the #2 business?

Hmmm well lots o poop around here so I'm not sure... Should I feed the tank peas instead this morning? They all love it..
Maybe he's bloated?

Yeah, just trying to figure a reason why he wouldn't eat. He looks fine otherwise and water conditions look good as well. I would give that a try and see if he eats.

Laser said:
Yeah, just trying to figure a reason why he wouldn't eat. He looks fine otherwise and water conditions look good as well. I would give that a try and see if he eats.

I have another thread about my female lying on gravel and then her fry.. Could you check it out?
"platy with sunken belly" & "platy fry laying down"

FRY Illnes???

Today my wife noticed one of our three Platy fry ( approx. 5-6 mos. old ) being lethargic and just floating in one position. Later a second Platy fry started acting the same way. The 3 fry are in a 5 gal Marine Hex tank. Water params. NH3-0, NO2-0, NO3-0 temp 76, pH 7.6. Water changes every week 25%, tank has been established since Oct.. NOTHING new added to tank. Same food as always ( brine shrimp, finely ground flake ) . No external marks, scars, deformity, no white dots or fungus, no nothing. We have well water that we let sit for 24 hrs. before a water change.Have no idea what is going on. Wife did H2O change and added some salt.Any ideas?:hide:

Chuck

Last edited:
He's now on end shimmying... And floating off bouncing into wall and landing...
ALL other fish, adults & juvies in tank of various ages are NORMAL

Poor Meringue he's on his way out...
I just did another 80% PWC and cleaned up remaining pea particles...
Other fish are tanking turns pecking at him as he lies there...

There's definitely something going on! First Trixie now him.
My first guess in an internal parasite of some kind. Spreading from fish to fish. Did you treat Trixie with anything?

Mumma.of.two said:
There's definitely something going on! First Trixie now him.
My first guess in an internal parasite of some kind. Spreading from fish to fish. Did you treat Trixie with anything?

No. She was too far gone. As soon as Trixie was removed from the tank he didn't swim
Much anymore.. He hid a lot... He LOVED her.. The new female tried to be friends and he kept nipping her away.

I'm sorry you couldn't save him, I don't think there's anything you could have done.

Laser said:
I'm sorry you couldn't save him, I don't think there's anything you could have done.

Had to get to my moms to pick up some stuff... He may not even make it till I get back... Certainly not thru the night... Can fish die of a broken heart? :-/

He's gone :-(

I bagged him and put him in freezer.. Don't know if there are any sentimental ones out there, but he and Trixie will be buried in their own plant together...
(yes.. I admit Trixie has been in freezer-- hadn't gotten a plant yet!)

:(
I was gone for a couple days, sorry for your loss. I wonder what is going on? It seems to hit on rather fast, I would defantly keep a close eye on the others, just in case it is a parasite. Maybe have things ready in case the others show symtoms. Very puzzling indeed.
I sometimes ask the store if the had any troubles keeping them alive? Might give you a clue as to what is going on.

Starka said:
:(
I was gone for a couple days, sorry for your loss. I wonder what is going on? It seems to hit on rather fast, I would defantly keep a close eye on the others, just in case it is a parasite. Maybe have things ready in case the others show symtoms. Very puzzling indeed.
I sometimes ask the store if the had any troubles keeping them alive? Might give you a clue as to what is going on.

I had the male 6 mths... The female I had 3 mths. They had different symptoms. She showed sickness... He didn't have any signs of sickness really.. His body shape stayed the same and he ate up until 2 days before. He just secluded himself. As soon as she was out of the tank he went into hiding and didn't want much attention. He rejected the new female platy And kept chasing her away... So she made friends with the female guppy instead...

Can they really sulk and die because of "sadness"? I know one of my mollies... My previous male laid by his favorite Female after she died and he was pretty listless for about 5-7 days after...

In that 6 months he experienced a LOT! He was with me from day one with severely overstocked 10 various fish (mollies/platies/guppies)in a 10g... Completely un cycled not knowing anything about water changes or anything...
He went thru the 160+ nitrates I had for who knows how long before I got a test kit... The ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates could very well have affected him somehow inside before I got everything down to healthy levels several months ago.

We all start somewhere and have made mistakes, and fish have suffered at some point in the process... It's sad and unfortunate, but now the only thing to do is move forward with knowledge...

I just thought of all that he went thru with off the chart readings...
Could have had a hand... :-(

Everyone makes mistakes in the beginning and those who say they don't are liars!! You did your best and rectified any issues to the best of your ability and that is all you can do! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom