Male ram acting weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyred

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is not really an 'illness' question, but an 'acting strange' question. My huge male breeder ram, who was previously very active, is hiding quite a bit lately. I can't see any thing wrong with him,no clamped fins, no bumps, lumps, marks, weirds spots or misplaced scales.

The tank, 55 gallon, is as it always has been: pH 7.2, 0 NH3, 0 NO2, NO3 at 5 ppm, temp. 80*F. All other inhabitants: angels, female breeder ram, rummy tetras, blue tetras, Von Rio tetras, Apisto cacatuoides & trifasciata, and Queen Arabesque pleco are perfect. Active healthy, swimming and eating. I think I've seen him eat since he started this, but I can't be sure because he is hiding. I performed a water change last night hoping that that would renew his spirit, but to no real avail. He's not breathing hard or gasping, just hiding in one spot, which is weird for him.

Anybody got any ideas? Stab in the dark?

Is he darker in color at all? Any signs of aggression from the angels or any other fish at all? Sounds a lot like stress but why I can't be sure.

His color looks good, but I think he's scared. Something terrorized him. I did notice a little reddening of his lip area like maybe he got into a lip lock with someone in there. I think, maybe, he'll be okay. At least, I hope. He doesn't act like he's sick, just scared.

That was my initial impression. I hope he will be ok, keep an eye on him and let us know how he is making out.

He's doing much better tonight!! He's coming out and swimming around the tank more, and I saw him eat at fishy dinner time. I think he's okay, he just bullied a little.

The angels just spawned again, so it could have been one of them. I'm fixing to have to get rid of absolutely gorgeous koi angel because he is the odd man out and getting beaten down. :( Ah, such is fish life.

I think Mr. Ram is going to be okay. XXX crosses fingers XXX

Thanks!!! I hope I can salvage some fry this time. They had free swimming fry once before, but they all dissappeared. 8O I don't know if the 'rents ate them or other fish. It was weird because they were taking SUCH good of the babies. Mom was scooping them up into her mouth and putting them back on the leaf when they would swim off. It was so cute. I think I may try to set up and angel fry tank weekend.

Back
Top Bottom