Malu Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boolay1978

Aquarium Advice Freak
Where is the best location for this on a rock or the sand base?

Hard to tell... Amenones will Rome the tank till they are comfortable with a good spot... Good lighting and temp... If it is a small amenone it will most of the time root itself where you out it...

Just fed him some gamma slice he took the whole fish and not looks like he is spitting him back out! Had him nearly a week and can't get him to eat anything....

He will eat when he is ready. :) In most cases, once a week is good so if he ate just before you got him it really hasn't been that long. Just keep trying but if he doesn't take it make sure you get it out of the tank. Either that or you will have some fat clean up crew. :)

As for location, they like an area where they can attach their foot to the underside of a rock. that way when threatened, they can suck up under the rock and not be seen from above.

He will eat when he is ready. :) In most cases, once a week is good so if he ate just before you got him it really hasn't been that long. Just keep trying but if he doesn't take it make sure you get it out of the tank. Either that or you will have some fat clean up crew. :)

As for location, they like an area where they can attach their foot to the underside of a rock. that way when threatened, they can suck up under the rock and not be seen from above.

When I say "Make sure you get it out of the tank" I meant the uneaten food not the nem. :)

Thanks for the advise, got two clowns how do I get them to go in the anemone?

Depends on the clown species and type of anemone. Some are compatible and some aren't. Tank raised clowns may never host an anemone. Mine host a frogspawn or bubble coral (they move back and forth).
Clowns don't need an anemone, and most anemone's should be left in the ocean (we have no idea how long they can live, just that's it's a very long time).

Anemones use a lot of energy digesting a meal. They eat very infrequently in the wild and live off LIGHT and the scraps that float by or from hosting clowns. One of the worst things you can do is feed an anem too often.

I take it you did not thoroughly research this animal before getting it. From LiveAquaria
"the Malu Anemone is a delicate anemone, and easily damaged. It can be difficult to acclimate, so its care should only be attempted by the most experienced aquarists. It prefers to have a sandy substrate allowing its base to be hidden from sight. It should not be placed on a rock. It requires strong lighting, moderate water flow, porous live rock, and a variety of sandy and rocky locations from which it can choose to live. The addition of a Clownfish such as the Clarki Clown,Amphiprion clarki, can help it acclimate to the tank and ensure its general well being. It is a moderately difficult anemone to care for, but once acclimated, it can be very hardy."

Good luck with your acquisition.

So reading that best to be on the sand base? I did research and also the lfs said it would ok to keep. I'll move it this evening from the lower rock that it is on onto the sand in the middle of the tank then it can find its own home

The lfs will always say it's ok. It's money in their pocket.
DO NOT MOVE the anemone. You can damage the foot and hasten its demise. It's best to just let it attach where it wants. It will move if it's not happy in its current location.

Anemones use a lot of energy digesting a meal. They eat very infrequently in the wild and live off LIGHT and the scraps that float by or from hosting clowns. One of the worst things you can do is feed an anem too often.
Good luck with your acquisition.
I agree 100%.

Larry and Cmor, are you saying that a nem will take the food to point at which it will ultimately hurt them? I was told to offer it but if they don't take they are not hungry? My RBTA will take it just about any time I offer it but my GBTA eats more seldom. So far, both seem to be doing great but an ounce of prevention and all that.......

Thanks for all the advise. Are they ok to move around with a good flow or will they get blown around the tank when not "latched" on?

Larry and Cmor, are you saying that a nem will take the food to point at which it will ultimately hurt them? I was told to offer it but if they don't take they are not hungry? My RBTA will take it just about any time I offer it but my GBTA eats more seldom. So far, both seem to be doing great but an ounce of prevention and all that.......
It's not natural for an anemone to eat big pieces of any food. Any bigger piece of food that's floating around on a reef will be eaten way before it makes it to an anemone. They aren't built for digesting anything big.
Thanks for all the advise. Are they ok to move around with a good flow or will they get blown around the tank when not "latched" on?
If an anemone is moving around it's not happy. Let it do it's thing until it finds a place it likes....whether you like the spot or not.

He took the fish last night and seemed happy then this morning this was floating in the tank, it's the fish I fed him but it's covered in a clear housing if that makes any sense...

image-50478156.jpg

My guess is that it was too big to digest. It was regurgitated. SMALL pieces, or none at all. Anemones need very little feeding other than light and catching whatever particles float into them.

When I feed my anemones the food is about the size of a pea. Wild caught anemones are best left in the wild they are harder to take care of. I had one and will never get another wild caught mine are slice and diced clones.

Will the two common clowns I have start to take to the anemone over time? They dont seem too interested

Back
Top Bottom