Mandarin Gobie????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am sorry if I came off wrong, but I gave you two good tips in what I thought was a casual and informative manner. As austinsdad said, you need a ton of rock and established pod population. I was simply stating that there is no way to supplement enough bottled pods to allow it to thrive. The other point I made was to research an ORA mandarin that eats prepared foods, however they have been known to revert once in the home aquarium. I'm not a bad guy, I just give what advice I can. Take it at face value and welcome to AA.

an average mandarin can eat a bottle of pods a day. you will never be able to add enough food (and keep it affordable).
1 in a year old 75 gallon tank would be the limit for me. unless you find one eating prepared foods, as mentioned.

Mr. X, would it be possible to introduce a pod supply in a smaller tank (no smaller than a 55 gallon) and allow a year or longer for the population to grow? Would a mandarin be able to thrive under these circumstaces?

i haven't tried it. 50-75 pounds of rock? it's possible i suppose. i would choose the smaller, spotted, mandarin to try that with. i would say definitely not for the larger dragonet.

I ask because I have a buddy with a 55 he bought off of me that wants a mandarin and he asked me about it. I have a 65 gallon with about 100lbs of rock. I am thinking about adding one myself, but if I did I would prefer to allow atleast a year for pod population to grow to a level that should be acceptable. I hate that so many fish are basically killed in this hobby because they are beautiful and cheap, so people have the attitude that its ok to just keep adding one every few months. I was going to tell my friend that he should get more rock and wait for pod growth, he only has about 40lbs now. Plus he just set the tank up a few weeks ago. I helped him start a fishless cycle that is almost done now, and I recommended that he add a couple of hardy fish once the cycle is complete, until he gets more comfortable with the maintenance on his setup and his tank gets more established.

Hey Thom, Thanks for all the links. It is gonna be a great help I will enjoy read'n them and I will ask about anything that is cofuse'n or just sounds like bad info. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom