mandarin help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alowery76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a mandarin with some spots on him that look like ich. I took him out of the main tank and put him in my smaller tank and the spots look black. Any idea what this is?

Yeah I thought about that after I posted it but I'm at work now.

Ok, we will be here when you get back. I hope it's nothing. I lost my whole freshwater setup due to ICH. Good Call on the QT tank, never can be too careful! Hope we can get this worked out for you and get your fish healthy again.

Mandarins do not get ich I'm pretty sure due to a secretion they produce. If you see spots its most likely something else. Also putting one in a QT is probably not such a good idea especially if its not trained to eat prepared foods

Keithjs

If the guy did have ich, moving it for a few days to be extra sure is not a bad idea.

Also, That's why I asked for Pictures. I know my Six Line Wrasse had what looked like to be ICH, but it was simply sand stuck on him because of the mucous membrane they create when they go to sleep.

I am glad they don't get ICH, so if that's the case I believe QT for a few days will not hurt it, and it should be put back into the main tank as soon as possible. I wouldn't risk my Main Tank, if I did not know Mandarins couldn't get ich!

Thanks for all the info, when I got back home this morning he was already dead. Everything that was on him when I left was not on him when I got home. Don't get it, he ate good and the water is perfect. Just shocked it happened so fast.

Thanks for all the info, when I got back home this morning he was already dead. Everything that was on him when I left was not on him when I got home. Don't get it, he ate good and the water is perfect. Just shocked it happened so fast.

Sorry for the loss. Was it a mature tank? They do best in established systems.

Back
Top Bottom