Mandarin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mckitrick

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i really want to get a mandarin goby. The only thing is that i know they eat things like copepods and that they tend to eat all of them in the aquarium. So my question is that how do i keep the copepods in check so that the goby wouldnt die? :thanks::confused:

What size tank? Do you have a fuge to seed with pods? IMO mandarins need 70lbs of LR to support one and even then you have a better chance if it will eat frozen foods. They should also be kept with docile fish that won't harass it

I don't have a fuge. But I could get one if I needed to? All the fish I have up to this point are 2 clowns and 2 damsels

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What size tank is this? With those fish a mandarin would not feel very comfortable though. Mandarins are extremely peaceful fish, and those 4 are pretty aggressive

It's about 40g

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd agree, the damsels can be very mean little buggers and the mandarin is a very peaceful, mellow fish. Also very slow moving.
You would have to have ALOT of live rock and a very mature tank to even begin to have enough pods for one.
I bought an ORA special mandarin that supposedly ate only pellets. Got him home and he wouldnt eat. he wiped out every pod in my tank and I had a fuge and a decently mature tank. i managed to get him eating frozen food, though I had to buy like a dozen different kinds and try sometimes 10 times a day to feed him any thing and everything. It took a month of non stop feeding for him to begin to eat frozen. her could have easily died, if it had taken even a few weeks longer he wouldnt have made it. :-(
I had mine for abotu 2 and a half years and he just died a few weeks ago due to a tank move, it stressed him that much.
These fish are probably one of the hardest fish you could hope to keep and the vast majority die of starvation.
Here is a shot of my Mandy, gone but not forgotten......

Back
Top Bottom