Mantis shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayjangle

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all, been a while since I posted here...sorry about that, been stressing about work and personal life so I have simply been maintaining my four goldfish and their aquarium (which has been going well, if I do say so myself).

Anyway, I am looking to get my own place by next spring, and my folks announced their reward for doing such being a 50+gal saltwater tank with any fish or invertibrate I want. This may seem like a bit much for the normal person, but I have always had anxiety about being on my own so it is a big step for me. And it always helps to have the right sort of motivation.

Anyway, after doing a lot of research of my various options, I have become fascinated in Mantis Shrimp. I am aware they need relatively thick aquarium walls (as they can shatter thin ones) and specific water perimeters. However, their ability to shatter clam and crab shells continuously intrigues me.

My question is, are they difficult to maintain? Regardless of the answer to this, are they easy to find, or will I need to reach a breeder? How well do they do with other fish? If i were to own a Mantis Shrimp, I would loot at a 50 gallon tank at least to insure they would not break the glass.

Thanks!

You can order mantis shrimp online for 10 bucks if it is just a plain one. They can go up in price if they are a peacock mantis or a more colorful variety. You'd probably want to set up 2 different tanks or a tank w/ a sump so you can have a save place to for their food to live in. Here about a year ago a guy in the forums who had one talked about how he had a sump full of chocolate chip starfish in a sump that he would just cut a leg off and throw the leg into the tank for the mantis. Had enough of them that there would be enough time for the legs to grow back and had a renewable food source.

Your gonna want an acrylic tank for a mantis. There punch is like that of a .22 rifle bullet. Some can get pretty big too. Not picky eaters either BTW. They are pretty awesome but very limited to what you can keep with them cause they are ferocious! My LFS actually had 3 they where giving away for free. 2 brown and one red. The red was awesome but its been weeks since I've been there. The starfish idea is pretty neat too never heard that one.

I'm pretty sure your thinking about harlequin shrimp about the stars. Actually I'm positive as I remember reading the thread. Mantis need to be kept by themselves and are extremely territorial and.... Well... Mean lol.

I have had a mantis shrimp and had no issues with him hitting the tank. You may want to put egg-crate on the bottom to avoid any hitting there but honestly I didn't have a bit of an issue and mine was rather large (7+ inches). If you go with a spearing mantis rather than a club it would be even less of an issue. Just remember that you likely won't have a cleanup crew last for any length of time. Everything to a mantis is either a potential threat or a potential meal. You don't have to feed live food either and most mantis will readily accept thawed silversides or other types of formerly live food.

The whole thing about mantis breaking glass is an over produced myth. No matter how hard you look you will not come across a verifiable case of this happening.

Its based off the .22 cal bullet fact. People assume they will break your glass because after all a .22 cal bullet would. Thats how it got started.

Ive keep a mantis in 1/4" glass 20g long tank no problem. Not something i would worry about.

Also mantis shrimp usually require a dedicated tank as they will attack and kill nearly anything that gets too close or encroaches on it territory.

Some people have houses them with fish, inverts etc but their fish/inverts usually come up missing at some point. They literally think they own the tank and in reality they do since they are packing heat. One of the fastest strikes in the animal kingdom and also some of the most complex eyes also.

I believe it was last night on animal planet i believe, they had a special on the mantis shrimp i missed it but my bro had to tell me all about it because he was so amazed lol.

They are really amazing shellfish and I'm thinking about putting one in one of my now empty 10gal's that I was also considering setting up as a micro reef tank with tiny fish. What do they need as far as filtration, heating and lighting?

Jayjangle said:
They are really amazing shellfish and I'm thinking about putting one in one of my now empty 10gal's that I was also considering setting up as a micro reef tank with tiny fish. What do they need as far as filtration, heating and lighting?

Well they are non photosynthetic so any light source is fine.

In a 10g all you need is live rock and water changes as far as filtration

A 50w heater and your good to go.

Well they are non photosynthetic so any light source is fine.

In a 10g all you need is live rock and water changes as far as filtration

A 50w heater and your good to go.

So they are relatively non-picky critters? Sounds perfect for me. I also love the loud "cracks" they make when they smack stuff, but I'm wondering if that would keep me up all night. Feed them once or twice a day? Would probably offer butter clams from the store and shrimp if that works.

Thank you for the help :)

Also, somewhat off topic a neighbor is giving away a non leaky 50 gal acryllic tank, so I am pumped!

Back
Top Bottom