Maracyn 2 did NOT work.. PLEASE HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spence22

Aquarium Advice Regular
My goldfish has been sick for a couple weeks with fin rot, it originally occured after my golfish cut his tail on a plant. I was told to treat with Maracyn 2, so i did so. Yesterday, I was finished with the treatment of Maracyn 2 and went ahead and did a 25% water change as the directions siad to do.Since the Maracyn 2 did not help the fin rot after one full treatment should i try another round of it? or would it be wise to try some other medication? I would like to mention that the Maracyn 2 did improve my goldfishs behavior, because he is no longer hiding in the back corner of the tank; hes been very active, but no signs of physical improvement (tail rot). Now for the past week have been noticing signs on flashing/scratching. He has been swimming up against the aquarium plants. Now I dont know if this is a sign of parasites or not. I also noticed a little bit of white stringy poop. Is this signs of parasites?

I am just really confused and im starting to get frustrated and discouraged! So far ive tried API Salt for 1 week to try and heal his cut tail, that failed and turned into tail rot. I then treated the tank with Melafix for 1 full week and that failed. So I then treated with Maracyn 2 for 5 days as directed and it seems to have failed. What should i do??!!!

Any advice will be VERY appreciated!!!

I will be gone for majority of the day today, but feel free to reply at any time today. I will respond to your post as soon as i get back home.

You may try Maracyn 1. The bacteria could be gram + in which case the Maracyn 2 wouldn't help. Fin rot can also be fungal in some cases so the Maracyns would not help there either, you'd need an anti-fungal.

The flashing/scratching is a sign of parasites, could be ich or flukes or even velvet. The poop can be caused by stress or parasite or bacterial infection.

what are your water parameters? finrot is caused by dirty water, and can't be treated effectively IMO until the water is clean. i would say stop dosing maracyn and do 2 50% water changes a day to keep the water clean. also, what size tank is this goldie in? goldfish have large bioloads, and if the tank isn't established enough, they are easily capable of making the water nasty in no time.

Go to the Goldfish Connection & order their 'medi-gold' food. It contains kanamycin which is one of the most effective antibiotics for fish use. Some lfs carry 'kanaplex' (seachems kanamycin) but most do not. The medicated food is a much better option here.

what are your water parameters? finrot is caused by dirty water, and can't be treated effectively IMO until the water is clean. i would say stop dosing maracyn and do 2 50% water changes a day to keep the water clean. also, what size tank is this goldie in? goldfish have large bioloads, and if the tank isn't established enough, they are easily capable of making the water nasty in no time.

Water Parameters using API freshwater master kit:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
PH: 7.5
Temp: 72.7

I have a 29 gallon aquarium with only one comet goldfish in it. My water quality has been great for months now. My water is cloudy today but I think its from the Maracyn 2, I just added fresh activated carbon to my fluval 205 canister filter to absorb the medication and clear the water up. Would you still recommend doing 2 50% water changes daily even with my water parameters being ideal??

I would keep an eye on your numbers but daily water changes if your amm/nitrite are zero will not be necessary. You still should do atleast once a wk a big water change-twice a wk would be even better.

I would keep an eye on your numbers but daily water changes if your amm/nitrite are zero will not be necessary. You still should do atleast once a wk a big water change-twice a wk would be even better.

Ok I appreciate the advice. When I went to feed my goldie he darted in the tank. He's been hiding next to a big plant all day! Is this a good sign of parasites?

Ok I appreciate the advice. When I went to feed my goldie he darted in the tank. He's been hiding next to a big plant all day! Is this a good sign of parasites?

I really doubt its parasites. You have only had this one fish in here with no other new fish to introduce anything. I suspect he is a bit stressed from the bacterial infection (fin rot). I have a phone number for ordering the medi-gold if you dont want to order it online. I really think it will help him!

I really doubt its parasites. You have only had this one fish in here with no other new fish to introduce anything. I suspect he is a bit stressed from the bacterial infection (fin rot). I have a phone number for ordering the medi-gold if you dont want to order it online. I really think it will help him!

Yeah i would like that number... I just dont have a credit card so Im not sure if i will be able to order it online. I can still call and see what my options are though.

Spence22 said:
Yeah i would like that number... I just dont have a credit card so Im not sure if i will be able to order it online. I can still call and see what my options are though.

I don't have a card either but whenever I need to order something online, I go to Wal mart and buy one of those money card things.

Back
Top Bottom