Maracyn 2 question please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sinsvixen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, any any input would be appreciated! I just noticed my betta, Alex, showing dropsy signs last night. Today I bought the last package of any maracyn 2 the local pet shop had and I just realized getting home with it that it's saltwater maracyn 2..can I still try to start treatment with it until I can find freshwater someone else or will it make him sicker? Any help please, I really want to start treating him but I don't want to make the situation worse!

Looking at the ingredient list, the difference is that the SW one has a bunch of vitamins added. Also the dose of Minocycline is 20 mg in the SW vs. 10 mg in FW.

I don't think that the Vit B will do anything to the fish ... but I have no direct experience on that. I would be tempted to use the SW if you can't exchange for the FW easily. Do make sure you get the dose right as the SW tabs has twice the active ingredient of the FW!

Thanks for the response! Yeah, I did go ahead and start with a pretty well diluted dose of the SW. I know the outlook for dropsy,especially on a betta his age (he's at least 2 1/2 by now) isn't good so I figured I'd feel better at least trying to do something for him and hope for the best. Unfortunately, I live in a small town and it was harder to find the Maracyn then I expected. I've never dealt with a case of dropsy before but I guess now I know to be better prepared and keep it stocked.

Back
Top Bottom