Marine Velvet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeddogg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just lost all of my fish due to velvet. I am going to let my tank go through the required 4 to 6 week fallow period to kill the parasite. My question is whether or not I could add coral to the tank, and start building the reef, or would the parasite attach to and kill the coral. Also, would it be wise to add more LR. My tank has been running for six weeks and water conditions are good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It won't hurt the corals. Fish are the only hosts. I would let the tank set 8 weeks without fish for velvet.
I feel your pain, I lost 4 of my fish earlier this year to the same disease. Early is the fallow period would be a good time to add some rock.

Thanks alot QShark. I would hate to stare at a lifeless tank for 8 weeks. Also, what in your opinion would be good corals to start with.

Sorry, I'm a fish and invert guy, maybe someone else can take that one.
I know 8 weeks is a long time, I doubt if you want to go through that again though. :wink:
The parasite associated with Velvet has a longer life cycle than the one associated with ich, thats why I recommend the longer fallow period.

I have the same problem too in my tank since I removed my other fish and they seem to be doing great in a 55 QT. My question would be if it's OK to add inverts and corals into the tank and all will be OK. Also, I have 2 eels in the tank still since someone in the forum told me it would be OK, sould I take them out? Please let me know. Also, by having them in the tank, would this prolong the cycle of the Velvet?

Fishboy-from-NY said:
I have the same problem too in my tank since I removed my other fish and they seem to be doing great in a 55 QT. My question would be if it's OK to add inverts and corals into the tank and all will be OK. Also, I have 2 eels in the tank still since someone in the forum told me it would be OK, sould I take them out? Please let me know. Also, by having them in the tank, would this prolong the cycle of the Velvet?

So you are treating all with copper?
You can add some inverts and coral to the main, just keep in mind there is a "slight" chance they could bring a parasite in with them. If you are going to add, I would do it early in the treatment period. Leave a window of 4 weeks without adding anything. IMO
The reason I say this is because I once had some live sand bring in ich. 8O

Is is a 55 or 75? I have really loved my mushrooms. They are really hardy, also another one that grew quickly was palythoa, I got some of the neon green kind a few months ago and it grew enough so that I could frag some off for my friend. Wood's polyps are real pretty, they are hardy and wave in the currents, never saw any until I ordered some frags from garf. Another one that I have, was my the first of two that I ever bought, been threw hell and back and it has grown about 6 or 7 times it's origainal size is star polyps. I love my bubble coral too, but I had a little trouble in the beginning learning to care for it...that was before I came here.

Joeddogg, try mushrooms in different colors, ricordea, pumping xenia (careful of that one, it spreads like crazy - but tameable), hammer. Try Eric Boreneman's coral book first, I'd suggest. Good reference. Available in this site's book library. It'll give you the skinny on various types and care needs.

Back
Top Bottom