Marineland 3G Crescent Pico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyxandria

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I saw a couple days ago that Petsmart has the Marineland 3G Crescent on sale and I was looking for something to put on my study desk. It looks perfect for me and I plan on going out tomorrow and purchasing it.

Here's the plan!

I am going to take five pounds of live rock from my current setup and a couple scoops of sand. Has anyone ever had any experience with breaking up live rock? Specifically the BRS reef saver rock?

I'll fill it half up with water from my currently established tank in an effort to skip the cycle process.

I'll fill the rest up with fresh mixed saltwater.

I'll move an emerald crab and a snail or two over to keep waste being produced and keeping the tank from going stagnant while I get the other things I need.

I have a mini heater that should do the trick but I'm going to get either a digital thermometer system or a sticker thermometer for the back of the tank.

I want a hob filter instead of an internal one so I'll be picking up one of those.

So my shopping list for tomorrow is:

- Marineland 3G Crescent Aquarium
- Digital or sticker thermometer
- Filter (what GPH should I aim for?)

And I'm going to order this:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111477939683

Will this be adequate to grow zoanthids?

Ok so here we have it!

img_3134692_0_e67d3dac278b9520e1697d582ae1fedb.jpg

The filter I bought... The Aquaclear doesn't fit where I want it to go so I have a temporary one on now to keep water circulating and I am going back to the store after my class to switch it and try a topfin filter. It looks smaller.

The light is also a 26W light. Is this ok to grow zoanthids with?

Ok so here we have it!

img_3134707_0_e67d3dac278b9520e1697d582ae1fedb.jpg

The filter I bought... The Aquaclear doesn't fit where I want it to go so I have a temporary one on now to keep water circulating and I am going back to the store after my class to switch it and try a topfin filter. It looks smaller.

The light is also a 26W light. Is this ok to grow zoanthids with?

watch the evap, itll kill ye.

if you have a petco near you they sell this "reef sun 50/50" compact flourescent that could do the trick with an architect lamp above the tank. i think it will work perfectly. I had a 2 gallon pico setup on my night stand but got tired of top offs so i broke it down.

watch the evap, itll kill ye.

if you have a petco near you they sell this "reef sun 50/50" compact flourescent that could do the trick with an architect lamp above the tank. i think it will work perfectly. I had a 2 gallon pico setup on my night stand but got tired of top offs so i broke it down.

I'm going to keep a line on the side so I can check it every day and top it off. No petco unfortunately (small town problems) but I do have a petsmart. I'm going to do some research on that lighting and see if any of the LFS carry it.

Looks great! What are you plans for corals? You could do a custom led fixture, or a jbj 9w, if you want some higher light species. Also, emerald crabs are not very reef safe, so be aware before adding corals.

I looked up that bulb and it looks like a fluorescent tube? How would that work in an architect lamp? Or am I looking at the wrong one?

What about something like a few compact fluorescents? They're 50/50 and 10W each. Could try and figure out how to mount them maybe build a mini square hood of some sort.

Aqueon® Mini Compact Fluorescent Aquarium Lamp

not what i meant but it is similar. not sure how the light works but its the same thing different brand (not sure on its power).

Looks great! What are you plans for corals? You could do a custom led fixture, or a jbj 9w, if you want some higher light species. Also, emerald crabs are not very reef safe, so be aware before adding corals.

I'm thinking just zoanthids :)

I bought an Aqueon compact fluorescent it's a 50/50 and its 10W and I'm going to order an actinic 18W compact for night.

Is it normal for these things to get so hot? How can I prevent this - do I need to get a chiller of some sorts?

not what i meant but it is similar. not sure how the light works but its the same thing different brand (not sure on its power).

Yeah it's similar - and something I found locally which is nicer than having to order and be patient (not my thing lol) so I'm going to test it out :)

I'm thinking just zoanthids :)

I bought an Aqueon compact fluorescent it's a 50/50 and its 10W and I'm going to order an actinic 18W compact for night.

Is it normal for these things to get so hot? How can I prevent this - do I need to get a chiller of some sorts?

Do you mean the light or the aquarium getting hot? If it's the aquarium, a small fan would work. if it's the light, they do usually run pretty hot, but if you're worried about the fixture just double check that the bulb and fixture are compatible.

Here are some updated pictures. I think I have the rock the way I like it now except for the one on the top right. I think I'll tweak that a bit. Threw in a shaving brush and my feather duster worms are out!

img_3136019_0_81d17314e70c2deb87e45545211474c2.jpg

img_3136019_1_d07d2c535271cbcb6e55a3d0fc6fbbff.jpg

img_3136019_2_42da897d94214fc07edb4f2bd90f1c5d.jpg

Sounds good! Btw, did you use all LR for I'd tank? Just curious, some of it looks much lighter.

No, the darker rock is the live rock from my already established aquarium. The rest is dry rock that I had. I've used it before and have never had it leach anything.

No, the darker rock is the live rock from my already established aquarium. The rest is dry rock that I had. I've used it before and have never had it leach anything.

It looks good so far, maybe add some height with the piece you weren't sure about? Also how is your shaving brush? I've never seen them in person but it seems like a cool macro.

Back
Top Bottom