marineland reef capable leds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidmaguirre

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello yesturday I went to my local lfs and I noticed they were using a single 36" reef capable leds for there stony corals!? The corals seemed very healthy.. I was thinking of replacing my very old compact florecents because the fixture isn't giving out as much light as it did causing my corals to die.. I replaced all four balasts and all the wiring on my coralife 96x4 watt fixture.. ANYWAYS, I want to replace it at first with halides but they use soo much energy and they get really hot.. so I was looking into the marineland reef capable leds and was thinking of buying 2 36" fixtures for my 72" tank. The tank that was using the leds in my lfs was about the same depth as my tank.. anyone have any experience or advice on these lights? I'm only going to keep soft corals possibly an anemone and live my current live rock.. thanku !

davidmaguirre said:
Hello yesturday I went to my local lfs and I noticed they were using a single 36" reef capable leds for there stony corals!? The corals seemed very healthy.. I was thinking of replacing my very old compact florecents because the fixture isn't giving out as much light as it did causing my corals to die.. I replaced all four balasts and all the wiring on my coralife 96x4 watt fixture.. ANYWAYS, I want to replace it at first with halides but they use soo much energy and they get really hot.. so I was looking into the marineland reef capable leds and was thinking of buying 2 36" fixtures for my 72" tank. The tank that was using the leds in my lfs was about the same depth as my tank.. anyone have any experience or advice on these lights? I'm only going to keep soft corals possibly an anemone and live my current live rock.. thanku !

My brother has them on his reef. They are great for soft corals and some low light lps and montiporas, but not for any other sps really. After a month, both acros turned brown but still grew. No color though. I've had slightly better luck with ecoxotic panoramas, but they lack intensity for most sps. I just purchased aquaillumination sol super blue fixtures, but haven't received them yet. I did see a test tank (with ai sols) 7 months old with all high light sps, and they were full of color and growth. At this point, there the only ones I would invest in. In a couple months I'll be posting my before and after pics and opinions.

Back
Top Bottom