Massive die off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my one tank, all the water params are good. But the fish are dying.

So I am going to try to save the fish but will re-do the tank. I am going to replace the gravel with sand soon. I am not sure why they are dying. I do not want to take the fish out and put them in a healthy tank if they are sick.

I have an extra sponge filter that has been in another tank. When I change the gravel to sand I will add the sponge filter and clean the HOB with bleach. I will also scrub down all the decorations I have with bleach. Of course I will moniter the water and do PWC all the while while the BB builds back up in the HOB.

I just know that with some of the fish when I got them after coming home from work or waking up (the dead ones). They had a white hairy stuff on them so I am thinking fungal infection.

Any suggestions on cleaning the tank up?

What size is the tank?
What kind of fish do/did you have?
What filter do you use?
How often do you do water changes?
How long has the tank been running?

Yeah the white hairy stuff is a pretty good indicator of fungus. I had a tank of cichlids that died off all within a few days, but that was my fault - neglected to maintain the tank.

water params are all good. I do a 30-50% water change weekly. It's a HOB filter Aquaon or similar price range model.

Trying to think I had the similar looking fungus on some driftwood of teh same batch that was soaking.

Errr, loosing another one as I type. Platies and danio were in this tank. Doesn't look like an external growth but his colors seemed frosted (faded).

I want to save the fish, but also want to know what to do to get it ready to cycle again (if the fish die).

Back
Top Bottom