Matt's 125 Peninsula Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, as I said, I lost most of my corals. My intention is to do a mixed reef. LPS. SPS. softies, Clams. Not TOO many SPS, but some chalices, monti's and bird's nest, etc. and lots of Zoas. I love Zoas.

Right now there is a yellow elegance, some Zoas and a big "crocheted" mushroom. That's it.

tvroom2.jpg
Someone shoot the cow?

Haha j/k. That is one awesome room you got there.

Anyways, that's an awesome tank you got there. I like the sump setup you've got. Looking forward to more pictures. ;)

Introducing "Spot"

So, very excited today. Last night I was lucky enough to snag a Blue Spotted Jawfish from Oakville Reef Gallery! :woohoo:

His name is, of course, Spot. He is out quite a lot - which surprised me - and is eating. I tried to let him out into the tank near where I had hoped he would make his home and he seems to have chosen the exact "spot" I had hoped for.:hurray:

Sorry for the crappy pics. he is camera shy and goes into his hole whenever I get close with it. He is WAY more beautiful than the pics show.

spot.jpg

spot2.jpg

spot4.jpg

spot3.jpg

Here are pics of the acrylic I cut to cover the overflow. I extended it 2.5 inches into the tank to match the rest of the euro brace. When you look from inside the tank it looks like it is enclosed. I just have to file the corners so they are square and will fit tight against the euro brace.

I did not like the way the euro brace stopped at the over flow. It was uneven when looking from the side. Of course, if the euro brace DID go the full length of the tank, I would never be able to work in it. This way, I get the aesthetics as well as the benefits - which are: some noise reduction, some evaporation that would happen at the overflow and MOST important, it helps keep my fish - especially the ****'s Angels (Firefish) and Spot and snails, etc. from going into the overflow.

acrylic1.jpg

acrylic2.jpg

Did a good job on it. Nice craftsmanship. Do you get that room all to yourself? I am so jealous. ;)

Thanks Etunes,

YES, it's MY room!!!! Well, my girlfriend comes down to watch the tank and movies, but rarely without me. I wake up in the morning and go down to the room. Before I go to bed, I'm in the that room. Other than the odd tea in our sitting room, or eating in the dining room, I pretty much live down there. I'm pretty lucky. But I earned it. I pretty much killed myself the last two years to get the house looking like it does. The whole house is as nice as that room. well...almost :)

Cheers

Thanks.

Yes, it is a trade off with a Peninsula on the lowest floor. The only thing I feel I will regret not having is a calcium reactor. Other than, I wanted to keep it somewhat simple.

I agree Mitchell. It's just easier, I guess. I'm using B-Ionic 2 part now. However. I am concerned it is making my PH too high - 8.6. And I can't seem to get my numbers where I want them.

I don't plan on having a lot of SPS. But I want a few.

Trying to sort it out.

Woohoo! i FIIINNNAAAALLLLYYYY had the ambition to fix the noisy durso drains. I set up the Herbie drain method, as suggested and oooh how beautiful the sound of silence is!!!:woohoo:

Of course, when I was playinf around to see if it was worth going to buy new plumbing parts, etc., I overflowed the tank.:wink-grin About a gallon or so ended up on my new wood floor! YIKES! Regardless, I have it working now with the emergency stand by pipe. The only sounds I hear now are my skimmer, the Vortech and the low hum of all the pumps. (very low humm, they are Red Dragons, after all, hehe) The setup now is way quieter than my 46 gallon tank was, and had no sump.

Also, I decided I didn't like seeing the returns for my closed loop, so i decided to bury them as much as I could under rock. I have a really nice layout now for lots of corals to sit. The top rock has a big bowl in the middle for a nice torch or anemone (if I could get it to stay) or any thing nice and big. Here's before and after of each side :

tvoldrocks.jpg

tvnewrocks.jpg

studiooldrocks.jpg

studionewrocks.jpg

You'll notice 3 new acros (there's a fourth not visible) and a couple of zoos. I got a killer deal on all 5 corals - $90. they are reeaallly nice! Took a bit of a beating trying to get them secured to the rock. Took 4 bottles of Krazy Glue! I'm hoping they do well. My girlfriend LOVES them. You know what they say...Happy wife.....happy life!! HAHA

The zoos and Monti frag are not staying where they are. i just wanted to see a little life on the new rock. It's SO white compared to the rest and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Well, that's all for now. Water parameters are perfect, fish and corals seem happy. It's all good!

Cheers

My girlfriend LOVES them. You know what they say...Happy wife.....happy life!! HAHA

lol, so funny.

Looks amazing i cant wait for this thing to just be full of corals, i mean it is just SO cool.

Back
Top Bottom