Matt's 700 Gallon Natural Sunlight System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The perfect setup. When I build my new house I defiantly want to incorporate the light tube technology in with my LED system. Great seeing it work so beautifully for you.

I wonder if it would work with reflecting light?
Like if you made tubes that had mirrors in them so you could bend them to the tank..

FTMMWS said:
I wonder if it would work with reflecting light?
Like if you made tubes that had mirrors in them so you could bend them to the tank..

I am pretty certain that would work. The light tubes basically do the same thing with a mirrored surface on the inside of the tube. They usually use a passive collector on the roof, but it wouldn't be that hard to rig up a sun collector with a motorized mirror that really concentrated the direct sunlight into the system. Using iris's and diffusers, you could do just about anything you wanted.

Mate if I ever get up to the gold coast I'll invite myself for a coffee. I've gotta see this with my own two eyes ;) absolutely stunning pictures and videos, good on ya!

Achilles is doing great. People tell me it is the healthiest specimen they have ever seen!

There is one fish that gets the attention over it though and that's the big Sohal.

I'll let you decide!

Some pics I took today whilst bored.

After uploading them I had realised I didn't clean the glass, oh well!

img_1601299_0_8ca888d0a3a408e70c32bc0711b5b102.jpg

img_1601299_1_20f0fffaf73d7d9b7260417844173035.jpg

img_1601299_2_d52e8a36a5a9ec25153f337dee55fb34.jpg

img_1601299_3_0ab1ac3445649d79dbbedf6c89fb097d.jpg

img_1601299_4_7b36bb6087dbe989e034888dd6b63b1b.jpg

img_1601299_5_8fd971e5760f976c2b0ec080e845ae36.jpg

img_1601299_6_4d8c79a924c053f04b85d04a5e353d4d.jpg

img_1601299_7_a2be10815cf7d0729362a33e8c303b09.jpg

I have been at this a long time and I can tell you, I really like the way the natural light works for you. I guess I need to build a new house so I can pull this off myself. Excellent.

You can't beat mother nature when growing coral. Look at every coral cultivation facility in the world and they are in the open or in greenhouses.
And the power savings is huge.

It was noted you use some supplemental lighting. Is this to enhance the corals coloration, or do you have it to enhance something you aren't getting in the natural light?

I hate to throw myself into this question bombardment but im interested in a few thugs. 1) was this a venture that you had built up a savings for and then executed all at once or did you pick up parts here and there till it was together? And 2) I hate asking but how much do you think your spend in food alone from month to month.
And lastly I don't remember seeing any heaters listed... I know you live in australia but does that negate the need for heaters all together?
This is an absolutely stunning tank and truly is a symbol of hope for us that would give anything to own such a tank

<3 an achillies tang

you sir are a lucky man

Yeah especially given their high mortality rate and even higher price here in Australia!!

Anywhere from $500-$1000. I got lucky with a healthy specimen!

It was noted you use some supplemental lighting. Is this to enhance the corals coloration, or do you have it to enhance something you aren't getting in the natural light?

Colouration and supplementing days where the sun isn't so.... sunny!

I wouldn't run a tank solely on Sunlight.

I hate to throw myself into this question bombardment but im interested in a few thugs. 1) was this a venture that you had built up a savings for and then executed all at once or did you pick up parts here and there till it was together? And 2) I hate asking but how much do you think your spend in food alone from month to month.
And lastly I don't remember seeing any heaters listed... I know you live in australia but does that negate the need for heaters all together?
This is an absolutely stunning tank and truly is a symbol of hope for us that would give anything to own such a tank

1) I saved up the majority of it and have also upgraded certain aspects of the tank with better equipment as time goes on. (Eg; Skimmer was upgraded, Computer Controller upgraded etc)

2) Roughly $40 per month in foods

3) I have heaters, 1800w of Schego Titanium. They are rarely on as the volume of water helps with temperature stability. Same goes for the chiller, rarely turns on.

Hope that helps!

One of the most amazing tanks i have ever seen, do you have any mold problems from evaporation or anything i was reading about large tanks and a lot of people have issues with mold from evaporation and what not

Back
Top Bottom