Maybe worms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinkie

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Majestic Angelfish has had a strange mark on his side for a while now. I first noticed it about three weeks ago when it pretty much just looked like a discolored scale. It got slightly bigger and resembled a tiny blister, then went away. I then noticed about three days ago it was back and bigger than before. I tried to take some pictures but was very difficult with my crummy camera when he is zipping around the tank. Is it a possible injury that is having a tough time healing, or perhaps worms?

I have had this fish for roughly 3-4 months now and he has been healthy. He doesn't show any signs of discomfort, has a great appetite, and doesn't scratch on any of the rocks or surfaces.

Here are the best pictures I could get out of the roughly 200 I took!

Healthy side:
healthysidesd5.jpg

Blurry pics of problem:
imga0647th5.jpg

imga0651se1.jpg

imga0652ca7.jpg

What other fish are in the tank? Is anything harassing it? Hard to tell from the blurry photo but looks like it's Marine Ich. Any slime on the scales or difficulty with breathing?

I am pretty sure no one is picking on him. Everyone has gotten along fantastically in the several months I have had him and my other fish. I thought ich at first too, but I am 99% sure that isn't it. The spot is MUCH larger than a grain of salt, and it is a reoccuring issue in one exact spot and not a single other fish has even a speck of ich.

I suppose you could say it looks like an egg. It looks kinda like a bubble with something tiny inside it. My PH is 7.8 (I'll double check tonight after work).

I will try and net him and keep him up close to the glass to take a better picture tonight, I just hate to net them and stress them if I don't have to!

Thank you for the link. What is puzzling me is that the fish looks and acts perfectly normal, no itching, no difficulty breathing, great appetite, very active. The only issue I can see is that one little spot, which looks more like a growth/protrusion than any kind of discoloration. I am going to lean on the side of no for the flukes.

I also am thinking no for cauliflower disease since the description seems to state that the disease effects the fins, and his fins are clear and clean. I saw a fish at the LFS with that disease , and it looks quite different, but I certianly don't have anywhere near enough experience with it to know for sure.

I got some better pictures!

imga0657id6.jpg

imga0659ht9.jpg

imga0661fy5.jpg

It seems to change appearance daily and not necessarily growing. He is still acting and looking perfectly normal and healthy aside from that one spot.

Since you are there (those are much better pics) are the outlines of the scales white and starting to puff out in that area?

roka64 said:
Since you are there (those are much better pics) are the outlines of the scales white and starting to puff out in that area?

I've been checking him about 3-4 times a day and like I said before, it always looks a little different. When I went down last night, it was completely gone. I checked again this morning and he looks perfectly normal. My assumption is that he either got pricked by the lionfish or injured himself somehow and it seems to have healed now.

If it comes back though, I will check for what you asked about but I didn't notice that before.

Back
Top Bottom