Mbunu - How much rock and where to get it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lightnb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have some rock related questions, for use in a 75G Mbuna tank:

1. Is there any rule of thumb in determining how much to get? ie. they say 1lb of sand/gravel per gallon- is there a rule of pounds of rock per gallon, or number of caves of size X per Y fish?

2. Is there a good ratio of rocky areas vs open water? Some tanks I've seen online have rocks and/or caves near the bottom (about the bottom 25% of tank space), with the area above the rocks are all open water. Other people fill most of the tank with rock, branches, and "junk" so there's lots and lots of caves and crevices but not much open water space. Are there recommendations on this?

3. Where to get rock? I've gone to nurseries, pet stores, etc and still haven't found anyone that sells suitable rocks in my area (I'm in West Palm Beach, FL). I'm even having trouble finding an online place that sells rock. Any recommendations? I think I'd like a bunch of black slate pieces that I can make into a "sculpture" of sorts. Any recommendations?

lightnb said:
I have some rock related questions, for use in a 75G Mbuna tank:

1. Is there any rule of thumb in determining how much to get? ie. they say 1lb of sand/gravel per gallon- is there a rule of pounds of rock per gallon, or number of caves of size X per Y fish?

2. Is there a good ratio of rocky areas vs open water? Some tanks I've seen online have rocks and/or caves near the bottom (about the bottom 25% of tank space), with the area above the rocks are all open water. Other people fill most of the tank with rock, branches, and "junk" so there's lots and lots of caves and crevices but not much open water space. Are there recommendations on this?

3. Where to get rock? I've gone to nurseries, pet stores, etc and still haven't found anyone that sells suitable rocks in my area (I'm in West Palm Beach, FL). I'm even having trouble finding an online place that sells rock. Any recommendations? I think I'd like a bunch of black slate pieces that I can make into a "sculpture" of sorts. Any recommendations?

How much open water vs. Caves crevices depends on what fish you have. And sometimes having a tank full of "junk" is just what it takes to mimick a fish's native environment.

Back
Top Bottom