Mean Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pilotfox01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had this clown for about 4 months now and hes really mean. He's in my 37gal tank with one peppermint shrimp. I dont want to put any more fish in there because he will probably kill it. I can't even stick my hand in the tank for more than a second before he comes to attack it. Im not to sure want kind of clown he it is, but hes and orangish red color. Do you have any suggestions on what to do?

Clowns can be very territorial. Do you have any photos of it? If not look around on the net for one. That way we can see exactly what kind you have.

My intention is not to sound mean here, but imho you need to take him back to the store you bought him from and try another fish. It does not really matter the variety that he is, unless you are content to have just one fish in your tank. I am sure you want a couple of more fish, so I would trade him in. I do not think you will ever be able to make him a "nice" fish.

I have to agree with Hara. I used to have a Clarkii clownfish and he developed a very nasty attitude. It killed 3 other fish. At that point, I returned it to the store.

I have a Tomato Clown and this one aside reading about how mean they get, and it is somewhat peaceful towards the other fish. In reading, I see that Tomato and Fire Clowns can be very pesky and territorial. One of the paragraphs talks about how the author could even put his hand in the tank without being attacked also. If my Clown starts acting like that, he is going to be on the first ride to the LFS.

If you are wanting to add more fish to the tank, get a stock list together. Then start adding the least agressive first. I agree with taking the clown back. Anyway, work your way through the list until you have added the most agressive fish last. Add each fish at night if you can. If not, turn the lights off for the rest of the day. This way, the less agressive fish can establish a territory and find some good hiding spots. I've had a couple of percs and a tomato so far and they have all been pretty gentle. Clowns really are great fish.
Logan J

Mine is the opposite...

This is my first saltwater experience, after several years of freshwater fish. This weekend, I stocked my 30 gallon fish-only tank with a clarkii clown (~3 inches) and two yellow-tailed damsels.

The clarkii (named Aria) is terrified of his own shadow. If I walk by the tank, Aria darts to hide. He's a bit bolder going for food, but stays near the bottom almost all the time.

In fact, this morning I woke up early and found Aria sleeping on the bottom of the tank, motionless. I'd never seen one of my freshwater fish do that - it was a bit scary. I thought I had killed the little thing.

-Lawrence

Each fish has it's own personality, I have had some luck introducing a clarki and an Ocellaris together while I already had another Ocellaris in the tank, they all swin together. I will however have to watch the Clarki as he matures, he might become agressive but it's too soon to tell. I am testing to see if I add them together young, maybe they will all get along.

i had a percula that was just the meanest thing ever. If i were u i'd get a porcupine puffer...he took care of the mean fish lol i hated to see the thing die but i guess it was natures way of taking out the mean fish

Back
Top Bottom