Mebbid's DIY root tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i wanted to try these root tabs. since i live at dubai, UAE, i am not able to find any osmocote fertilizer. but i did come across a locally made slow release fertilizer granules. they are same like osmocote. it has NPK 12-12-17 and trace elements.
just to experiment i had put a few granules in water and waited for some time. i noticed that most of the granules dissolved in water to form a powder. will these granules be safe for the aquarium. i have a fine gravel bed about 2 inches depth. my tank is 63 gallons.

i wanted to try these root tabs. since i live at dubai, UAE, i am not able to find any osmocote fertilizer. but i did come across a locally made slow release fertilizer granules. they are same like osmocote. it has NPK 12-12-17 and trace elements.
just to experiment i had put a few granules in water and waited for some time. i noticed that most of the granules dissolved in water to form a powder. will these granules be safe for the aquarium. i have a fine gravel bed about 2 inches depth. my tank is 63 gallons.

I would avoid placing the granules directly into the water and having them dissolve in the water column. It is best to get them into the substrate intact. As mentioned in post # 70, you can try placing a few in ice cube trays with water and freeze them. Then place the ice cubes directly into the substrate.

If that fertilizer that you used dissolved that fast in water then just be careful with it and use it very sparingly. It sounds like the equivalent of dumping dry ferts in the tank, which isn't bad, but needs to be under control.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

If that fertilizer that you used dissolved that fast in water then just be careful with it and use it very sparingly. It sounds like the equivalent of dumping dry ferts in the tank, which isn't bad, but needs to be under control.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

I'm gonna agree with Jeta on this one. Those sound kind of scary to use.

I would avoid placing the granules directly into the water and having them dissolve in the water column. It is best to get them into the substrate intact. As mentioned in post # 70, you can try placing a few in ice cube trays with water and freeze them. Then place the ice cubes directly into the substrate.

thanks for your reply .well I was just trying to experiment with the fertiliser granules in a glass of water. does the osmocote granules also dissolve in the same way. can anyone share some thoughts.:)

Yes, it does. That's why it's advised to put them in small gel caps.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Eventually, but not nearly as fast as the pellets themselves. It will break down faster in the substrate, and the substrate can absorb the nutrients that will be taken up by the roots of whatever plant you push it under, rather than into your water column.

How many size 00 capsules can I put into my substrate (2-inch deep CarribSea Eco Complete) for a 20 gallon while still being safe for fish? Is there a maximum per gallon? Is 10 capsules per 10 gallons too much? I'm using the exact same formula mix as the OP.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Per Mebbid on the first post of this thread, one capsule per 3"x3" space, primarily directly under the plant's base. Pushed as deep as you can get it.

Oh yes, I am reading it again, just place capsule under the plant that needs it. Just wondering, is this safe to use in gravel if the gravel is only 2 inches deep? Seems like the dissolved capsule contents would just seep out into the water column...

Oh yes, I am reading it again, just place capsule under the plant that needs it. Just wondering, is this safe to use in gravel if the gravel is only 2 inches deep? Seems like the dissolved capsule contents would just seep out into the water column...

It will probably work but I would use them more sparingly.

Thanks for all your tips and your nice original post. Just out of curiosity, how many watts per gallon of light was used in your original post and what type of CO2 dosing did you use (if any).

Also, if I had a plant-only tank (no fish or other animal), will rhizome-type plants like anubias benefit from these fertilizers if i deliberately dissolved a ton of it into the water column?

Thanks for all your tips and your nice original post. Just out of curiosity, how many watts per gallon of light was used in your original post and what type of CO2 dosing did you use (if any).

Also, if I had a plant-only tank (no fish or other animal), will rhizome-type plants like anubias benefit from these fertilizers if i deliberately dissolved a ton of it into the water column?

You're welcome :)

I mentioned my setup right before the pictures of my tank started but here's a recap.

• I used an aquatic life dual t5ho fixture over my 55g so that's putting out about 50 PAR at the surface.
  • EI dosing of Dry ferts
  • 10ml of Excel per day

I guess you could dissolve the ferts directly in the water if you didn't have fish but there are many other methods of fertilizing a tank that are far more controlled and more efficient.

Thanks so much. I'm new to planted tanks as you can tell but I'm learning fast thanks to you and all the experts here!

Thanks so much. I'm new to planted tanks as you can tell but I'm learning fast thanks to you and all the experts here!

That's for sure. I would have been lost without help from here and honestly, I probably wouldn't be in this hobby.

Hello mebbid
Everyone is raving about these tabs so im jumping in as well!!

I have the osmocote and capsules on order by amazon but i cannot find the miracle gro tomato stuff. Will this work??
Thanks in advance
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402928898.026352.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402929025.206656.jpg

Seems to have lots of the things tht i dose into the water column so im guessing its suitable

I used something like that sk3lly..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom