media in fluval 204

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SassyAngel111

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had my tank up and running for a month now with 19 lbs lr and 20 lbs ls, my levels are all normal I think:
nh3 = 0
no2 = .25 which I think is from adding the 10lbs of the19 lbs of lr
these two test I used aquarium pharm tests
alk = 2.86 using the salifer test
sg = 1.022

But my question is that in my fluval I have a water polishing pad, carbo-z and nh3 remover plus the two standard filters and filter fiber in it, what do I need and what can I do with out in the filter?

Here is another pic since we had added more lr, this weekend

I only have LR rubble in my 304. I leave a basket empty so I can run carbon when needed.

Occasionally I’ll run GAC, Chemi-Pure, Cuprisorb, PhosGuard, & Purigen for a week and then empty it out again for a month or more. I wouldn’t run any media for more then a couple of weeks and as localhost said putting lr rubble in is helpful.

Make sure to clean your filter pad at least every 3 weeks and if you see your no3 rise above 10 ppm then clean weekly.

For a 29 gal tank I would add another 25-40 lbs of lr for better bio-filtration.

Also I didn’t notice a power head in the tank. I would recommend adding one on each side of the tank pointing upwards and at each other for good surface agitation.

Did you cycle your tank with the lr? If so it looks like you are nearing the end and you will want to add a fish soon to keep the bacteria alive.

yes i have the same filter on my 55g and i have live rock rubble filled in the basket and 1 empty also

Thanks for the help. I guess it is time to take out the media and see what happens. I just need to go back to lfs and get a piece of lr that I can break up to put in my filter.

Back
Top Bottom