MegaFlow assembly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickh

Aquarium Advice Regular
The instructions for installing a MegaFlow standpipe in the bulkhead say nothing about using PVC solvent to glue the pieces together. All the pipes in question are inside the overflow box, normally submerged in water, not below/outside the tank. I am afraid if they are not glued together, if the water level in the overflow drops below the top of the standpipe the main flow would stop, but any small leaks would continue to drain into the sump. What do you think. R

I haven't glued mine. This is in case I ever need to remove it later. I only glue if absolutely necessary. It'll may have a few small leaks but I don't believe it will be enough to stop the main flow. I have just freshwater tested mine so far but it does slowly leak at the bulkhead. The only concern I have now is having enough room in the sump to allow for the extra capacity including the amount in side the overflow chamber. I believe I will have plenty on my setup.

Thanks for the reply. Does it leak around the bulkhead and on to the floor? Or does it leak down into the drain and end up in the sump. This is what I am worried about. A day of dripping might fill up my sump. Thanks. R

If it leaks at all it will just drain into the sump. It will be where you pushed the standpipe into the bulkhead. I will probably try a little teflon tape to tighten it up a little. It can only drain down the amount that is above the inner wall of the Megaflow and anything inside the overflow chamber. It will only cause concern when the return pump is not running.

Back
Top Bottom