Melafix help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ursi

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm treating my tank with melafix, and I was wondering if anyone knew if it mattered whether I did a water change sooner than the bottle says to? Ie I'm on day 5, and it says to do a water change on day 7. My tank looks a little cloudy with tiny white bits in? Could this be caused by the melafix?

Thank you :)

When i treated my sick oscar with melafix i did a water change every 3 days. The little white things will go away 2 weeks after the treatment

+1 on the water change every 3 days. It's been a while since I used it but I thought it said something about a water change every 3 days. How big is your tank? I think its healthier to have clean water.

My tank is 260L, I'm going to do a water change today :)

Trying to treat ripped fins/ possible fin rot. I can see some improvement already it's just that it HAD to be treated, and I was advised to use melafix. I know clean water does the job too, but I change 20% on my tank every 5 days I always have done but the fins needed some extra help..

Sorry. IMO = in my opinion. It's great your seeing an improvement. Might be worth your while to change out more than 20% at a time. 50% once or twice ( or more) a week is usually a good amount to aim for (especially with high waste producing fish like cichlids and goldfish). In the future it's been my experience that a little salt and plenty of clean water (very low nitrates) works wonders on fin rot. And it's heaps cheaper than coughing up for expensive medications.

Ursi said:
Trying to treat ripped fins/ possible fin rot. I can see some improvement already it's just that it HAD to be treated, and I was advised to use melafix. I know clean water does the job too, but I change 20% on my tank every 5 days I always have done but the fins needed some extra help..

I had an angelfish with fin rot resulting from nipped fins from the bigger one, Melafix cured the rot in 2-3 days and then immediately I saw regrowth, clean water is great, but I'm a big believer in Melafix

I've done a 50% change today, I usually do 20% every 5 days and test the water the day after, I have always had the same readings of

Ammonia -0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate- 10
PH -7 - 7.5

These readings never change so I assumed the water changes I was doing was enough, I add a handful of salt every change, but only a handful not what the recommended dose is.

I did my research on how to treat the tank for the nipped fins and fin rot, I used salt (recommended dose) and lots of water changes after treating for ich a while back, the nipped fin problem was still present after and I felt I had to do something as the guppies were getting worse along with the angels. I'm finally seeing some improvement after using melafix which I never saw before.. It was just gradually getting worse.

Also I'll add I don't have goldfish or cichlids, I have mollies, angelfish, guppies, tetras, bristle nose plecs, swordtails and a Chinese algae eater :)

Back
Top Bottom