Melanotaenia Praecox Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kalle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I am a little bit worried about our melanotaenia praecox. We introduced them to the tank a couple of days ago and then added a three more fish (tiger barbs). Ever since we got her, the praecox hasn’t really been eating, and she has been sort of hanging out on one side of the tank, hiding among the plants in the back. Today, she came out and I noticed how she seems to almost be gasping every once in a while and I also noticed the prominent white spot on her "lip." And then, I realized that the silver shimmer I thought I saw on her scales might actually be white spots.

What could be wrong? Could it be columnaris?

You can see a few images here:

img_2923202_0_08c1a3fb8b5189126216972dc62d6834.jpg

img_2923202_1_7677bd57269f3fa8ee20ecf4f6b00dd0.jpg

img_2923202_2_27f156858a041677e5f5ff76a5be3b23.jpg

Also, see the attached film clip to see her when she gasps (0.37): Apr 21, 2014 - YouTube

Has anyone had similar problems? What could it be? I’m so sad :(

Thank you for any help!!

Those little salt granule looking things look like ich

Raise the temp to 86f....

Personally i would do 25% wcs daily...and try to vaccuum as many of the tomites from the gravel as possible...it'll help IME

Looks like ich here as well.

But is the size of the white spot on the lip larger / more fuzzy? Has it been there longer?

Have you raised the tank temp?

I would QT that fish if possible. I'd say ich and columnaris or fungus on that lip looking at it. Is that possible?

Edit - gasping may be from ich in gills. Can you increase aeration?

Also did it look fine in shop?

Last edited:
The lip thing does look like columnaris. Or just some cottony fungus ...which rainbows are prone to....specially when stressed or water conditions aren't right..

Keep your water really clean. And the temp up.... for the ich

Lol if there is columnaris (which needs low temp treatment) what disease would one want to combat first, lol?

The lip thing does look like columnaris. Or just some cottony fungus ...which rainbows are prone to....specially when stressed or water conditions aren't right..

Keep your water really clean. And the temp up.... for the ich

Lol if there is columnaris (which needs low temp treatment) what disease would one want to combat first, lol?

Yeah - bit tricky. Out of the frying pan and into the fire either way.

Just in theory and for discussion while waiting for the OP I'd try (changed my mind already!):

Salt at level to kill ich, lower temp and anti-bacterial meds. I'm thinking I'd quickly try a fungal/parasite med first in case it is fungal/knock the ich off a bit. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom