Metal Halide Fun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

demodiki

Aquarium Advice Freak
So here is the deal...my brother in law is an electrician and is insisting on making a MH setup for us. He is asking...what do you want? I have no idea what to tell him.

Currently, we have a standard size 55 gallon tank with 100 lbs of LR and 120 lbs of LS. We only have 2 small fish at the moment. We wanted to have corals at some point but were put off by the cost...now, the cost is zero:)

So what should I tell him? What size bulbs? How high should they be over the tank? We can't have pendants (we live in an apartment) so I am guessing a hood is the way to go. He wants to build a metal hood to contain the bulbs...man I am just lost about how to guide him through this.

Any advice?

demodiki you have a few choices:
1). You can run just 2 MH with 20K bulbs. Thats what i would personally do.
2). Or 2 MH with 10K or 14K and supplement with attinic VHO or PC

I would use either 175 watt or 250watt electronic ballasts 175watt would be just fine though. I would keep them about 8-12" off the tank. And use parabolic reflectors like a retrofit kit. You should find out how much its going to cost him before you start you might be better off buying retrofit kits to do it. I have priced out alot of lighting and found that buying the kit is cheaper in the long run than doing it yourself.

He actually has a bunch of types of ballasts and bulbs already. He also said that he can get anything wholesale price. I am helping him with his roof this weekend as trade :) Thanks for the advice!

since no one really give u some detail on the light yet, hope this link will help you a bit http://www.cyberreefguru.com/diy/mh/mh.html
not really telling u wat type but just letting you know most the parts u need for it. Oh and btw, on this site , the ballast this guy talking about should be a TAR not ELEC, i would suggest go for Elec ballast which save energy and won't kill your house circuit.

Back
Top Bottom