Metronidazole and ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I've just spotted ich in my boraras tank and always treat with heat 84, pwc and increased aeration, but I've got metronidazole left from a member who gave me it and wondered could I mix this into there food? Would it help? And would my bristlenose plecos be ok?
Thanks

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
7 gallon halfmoon betta and red ramshorn.

Just using heat on its own.

30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Only from reading I understand triple sulpha will help but very slowly. Also possibly furan 2 and metro. I don't have any proper research articles unfortunately. Triple sulpha treating white spot is mentioned on the label of the meds bottle here.

Thanks Delapool, I was just curious as I had read about it when I used it on my boraras. Just pushing the heat up at the moment and hoping I don't get up to really hot fish! My thermostat has no numbers on it so it's a guessing game!

Last edited:
Metronidazole may work, but not effectively at all. It's mainly for treating internal parasites and from my experience it should not be used to combat ich unless it is accompanied by risen temperature.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Agree with sunny. Who told you to use metro for ick? Should have just used some quick cure malachite green
Also, NEVER combine Metro with an Ick med like malachite green.

I'm just using the heat method like I always do.
What I said was I read about the metronidazole and that some people had used it with the heat. I'm not using it, I was just curious.

Would be curious as well on any that have tried it as I get the impression it would be rare to do.

I've debated with myself on using triple sulpha towards the end or during heat treatment for ich caught early if it was during summer when I find bacterial infections are also more likely. If caught late or in QT with no plants would be tempted on meds.

Happily it has just remained at the thinking end. I get most of my fish at the start of winter now for any stocking and seem to have less troubles.

Yeah, I read a lot about it yesterday, but they use it with heat also and state the 2-3 weeks off use, so really heat takes the same time and it could be just the heat that eradicates the Ich. Like you I was only curious but I would rather not use med unless I'm really having to.

ALso Metroniazole is $15 a bottle here. Some "quick cure" is $3-4
I supose it migh ork, it can kill internal flagelete i suppose it coul kill them in the ater colum as ell
sorry my keyboar is missing, keys namely the an keys
lol

Got the heat up to 29. 4 struggling to get any higher. No visible spots this morning so just leaving the heat up for 2 week's anyways.

Haven't used salt with ich before, always thought it wasn't good for inverts but haven't tried. Thanks Autumn ☺

Epsom salt?

Sorry for the delayed answer.

I use plain no additive Sea Salt, also the kind with minerals in it called Orso (generic label). From the health food store. That is reasonably priced in the generic form here where its milled USA.

If you can't get the/a generic version, it is also sold as Redmond Real Salt brand. Maybe a different version from some other salt lake, but I can only vouch for this one. Real Salt

Yes, there are many minerals and I have had the best fish and shrimp tanks with a little of this in there.

It is a salt from Salt Lake and is milled but not refined.

You can always use the Aquarium Salt in a carton too.

Fish Disease Index: Ichthyophthirius multifiliis. - Aquarium Advice

Shrimp and snails aren't supposed to be hosts for Ich, they could be on it but at around 5-10 days all Trophonts should be dead. EDIT - oops for got the part about putting them in a tub, separate from the treatment tank, plants as well can go into the bucket/tub.

I used about 1 tsp per gallon to start the process and increased it to 1 tablespoon.

Just remember that removed amounts of water (pwc) needs to be replaced with the accurate amount of replacement salt.

Hotter water in the tank requires much more aeration to keep the O2 up for the fish.

Last edited:
Thanks Autumn.
I'm sadly losing some of my boraras ?? it must be the heat they have no spots on them. Can't believe it, love these little guy's, so sad.
Can't get temp any higher than 29.7 but that should still kill the Ich.
Been doing lot's off pwc, lowered water level and both filter's have spray bar's so I have them on full. Pleco's seem to be coping ok but have had a few shrimp deaths which I did expect.
All together RUBBISH!

Well, I've increased oxygen just incase that's what's wrong with the boraras, but they don't look good some still have spots after a close inspection, frayed fins and very pale. 2 more dead shrimp, plecos coping fine. This is day 9 and I kinda thought the spots would've been clearing. This tank has been a nightmare!

Back
Top Bottom